Looking for 150 mm stainless petty with some belly

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I am looking for a 150 mm stainless petty. It is important that it has some belly and is not, like some petties, almost fully flat. This is because I like to use it for rock chopping herbs and small veggies. Also I'd like it to be thin (preferably a laser).

Other information: I don't really mind whether it is wa handled or yo. I'm right handed, prefer a steel that takes a good edge and is relatively easy to sharpen and I sharpen my own knives. Budget up to, say $200. But the cheaper the better, of course, and I might be willing to pay something extra for a really special knife.

That Henckels Kramer in SG2 sure looks good. Not a big fan of Henckels, though and not sure if it's overpriced.

Do you know how thick the knife is? And is SG2 able to take a better edge than, e.g., most VG-10?

sg2 is awesome steel. vg10 can be great steel when done right. =D

it's not so much the steel but the maker that makes a great knife.

but yes, sg2 will be better than vg10 even if probably done not so right.

These aren't your Dad's Henckels...actually Henckels from back in the day were great. These aren't your older brother'd Henckels. :)

I have a wa-handled Carter that is in that size and I can tell you that you would love it. Sorry, I am not quite ready to give it up yet and the price would be above your budget range too but good luck with your search.

+1 on the Yoshikane SKD petty.

I dont like stainless, but the steel is great! Belly is there too.

The cermax petty is 125 instead of 150, but has belly, is thin, decent steel (the MC66 is rumoured to be ZDP) and has a relatively comfortable handle. Balance is more towards the handle than the blade.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALWW4Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Probably cheaper elsewhere, think I got mine from cutlery and more on clearance

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking the best solution here may be a small gyuto.
Hattori makes one in 150: http://japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html
Tojiro makes a 160.
Hiromoto makes a 180 in the g3 line.
there are others...

I actually really like the Carter suggestion from TheEdge but it's not stainless, as requested. Great little knife though.

Few make petties with bellies, because for rocking you need a little more edge and height at the heel, and with 150mm, you don't get that. Also, petties are great for doing tip work and belly will force you to raise the handle to make a tip contact with the board.

Thinly ground knives, are perfect for push cutting, which in my opinion, tops rock-chopping (with exception of chopping herbs) hands down. I would recommend to try to learn push cutting with a good knife, and you probably won't ever look back (at rocking). Plus, all good knives will have enough curve for light rocking.

M

I third, or fourth...or whatever...a smaller Carter Funayuki. They're amazing little knives.

Back