Quantcast
Drying stones - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Drying stones

  1. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
    Never really thought it a problem to be honest. Been using whet stones for decades (professionally too but not on knives) and have never even heard of a mouldy stone. Provided you don't seal it away wet I can't see how it's going to be a problem. Kitchen drawers, even closed, have enough air flow to prevent moulding. Some stones soak up water for half an hour. If you're aiming to put them away dry you'll need to place them on a counter top for days. I wonder how the fiance will react after you've put it through a cycle in the drier? Or if she goes outside to find it pinned to the washing line? Could be the end of a potentially beautiful relationship. Provided you don't store it in an airtight container, don't worry about it.
    Sorry, Blobby. Mold happens just about everywhere there is moisture, warmth and lack of sunlight. The only question is how fast it's growing and how much time it has to do so. I have a 1k soaker that I used often enough for a couple of months that it never quite dried out in between uses and it now has a faint pink glow to it, lol.

  2. #12
    I permasoak two of mine - Gesshin 400 and Beston 500 I just change the water once a week My other ones I lean on edge to dry, but I never put them in a sealed container.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Sorry, Blobby. Mold happens just about everywhere there is moisture, warmth and lack of sunlight. The only question is how fast it's growing and how much time it has to do so. I have a 1k soaker that I used often enough for a couple of months that it never quite dried out in between uses and it now has a faint pink glow to it, lol.
    Never said mould didn't happen. I suggested not to worry about it. Moisture, warmth and a lack of sunlight is a perfect description of the environment inside of any stone. It's there all the time in some form or other. I doubt even putting through a drying cycle is going to make that much difference to be honest. There will be bacteria living in there somewhere. And if you want to create a nice pink, black, green, purple...etc... glow to any substrate just permanently stick it in water. That's the aerobic equivalent of storing it in an airtight container.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •