Drying stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
Any options for drying stones other than leaving them airdry on the counter? My fiancé hasn't said anything, but last night she emptied a kitchen drawer for my sharpening stuff to it gets of the counter, so I'm pretty sure what she is getting at, lol. I don't have the room to permasoak, so was just wondering. I'm afraid of applying heat, so... Any other options. If not, that's cool, just wondering.

Have you noticed I have lots of time on my hands, lol. Week off, and I start thinking to much, lol

Don't know if this helps but my shaptons all came with instructions not to use a fan or heat to speed up the drying process as it can lead to cracking of the stone. I would just try and find another place to dry them to keep the fiancée happy.

Although it really depends on the stone...you should be able to just wipe off the excess water and put it in the drawer to dry. Don't forget the reservoir under it to keep it from damaging the drawer. If it really makes you nervous you could always keep the drawer cracked so that it gets a constant stream of fresh air to help keep the humidity low.

I also would not recommend heating them up to dry them.

Regards,
Chris

Don't know if this helps but my shaptons all came with instructions not to use a fan or heat to speed up the drying process as it can lead to cracking of the stone. I would just try and find another place to dry them to keep the fiancée happy.

+1

Choseras especially will develop a fine spider web of surface cracks if dried too quickly.

There is really no way around it. It just takes time, don't put them away wet or moist they will mold and definitely don't heat it, they will crack.

Give your fiance a dull knife and let her use it for a bit, then put the sharp ones back out. She will never doubt the power of the stone again.

I usually set mine on a drip insert for a 1/2 pan to get good airflow for faster drying, or....it might be time to invest in some splash n' go.

Buy a plastic shoebox, put a paper towel in the bottom and lay two thin strips of wood on top for the stones to rest on. You can fit three stones on edge without crowding. The shoebox is short enough to fit under a bed. Just take care when moving the box that the stones don't do a "domino effect".

file-13.jpg

I need to try some Gesshin stones....

Never really thought it a problem to be honest. Been using whet stones for decades (professionally too but not on knives) and have never even heard of a mouldy stone. Provided you don't seal it away wet I can't see how it's going to be a problem. Kitchen drawers, even closed, have enough air flow to prevent moulding. Some stones soak up water for half an hour. If you're aiming to put them away dry you'll need to place them on a counter top for days. I wonder how the fiance will react after you've put it through a cycle in the drier? Or if she goes outside to find it pinned to the washing line? Could be the end of a potentially beautiful relationship. Provided you don't store it in an airtight container, don't worry about it.

Never really thought it a problem to be honest. Been using whet stones for decades (professionally too but not on knives) and have never even heard of a mouldy stone. Provided you don't seal it away wet I can't see how it's going to be a problem. Kitchen drawers, even closed, have enough air flow to prevent moulding. Some stones soak up water for half an hour. If you're aiming to put them away dry you'll need to place them on a counter top for days. I wonder how the fiance will react after you've put it through a cycle in the drier? Or if she goes outside to find it pinned to the washing line? Could be the end of a potentially beautiful relationship. Provided you don't store it in an airtight container, don't worry about it.
Sorry, Blobby. Mold happens just about everywhere there is moisture, warmth and lack of sunlight. The only question is how fast it's growing and how much time it has to do so. I have a 1k soaker that I used often enough for a couple of months that it never quite dried out in between uses and it now has a faint pink glow to it, lol.

I permasoak two of mine - Gesshin 400 and Beston 500 I just change the water once a week My other ones I lean on edge to dry, but I never put them in a sealed container.

Sorry, Blobby. Mold happens just about everywhere there is moisture, warmth and lack of sunlight. The only question is how fast it's growing and how much time it has to do so. I have a 1k soaker that I used often enough for a couple of months that it never quite dried out in between uses and it now has a faint pink glow to it, lol.

Never said mould didn't happen. I suggested not to worry about it. Moisture, warmth and a lack of sunlight is a perfect description of the environment inside of any stone. It's there all the time in some form or other. I doubt even putting through a drying cycle is going to make that much difference to be honest. There will be bacteria living in there somewhere. And if you want to create a nice pink, black, green, purple...etc... glow to any substrate just permanently stick it in water. That's the aerobic equivalent of storing it in an airtight container.

Back