Quantcast
Oiling handles
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oiling handles

Oiling handles

What's your recommendations in this regard? Do different varieties of wood take to different oils?

- Josh
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

For me it depends on the finish desired. I have been using mineral oil as a base, for a matte finish I use birch wood casey gunstock wax. For a shiny finish I will use Tru-Oil, followed by the gunstock wax.

I'm just looking to extend the life of my handles, and help diminish swelling/shrinkage.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

If they aren't too dried out, boardsmith board butter would be good for maintenance

I live in a very dry climate and nothing I have found reduces shrinkage. Even when I re-handle I like to let my wood sit for 6 months to a year before use to help minimize it.

Maybe you can keep your knives in a mineral oil immersion (handles inside) if you are not using them. You can rotate half of your collection like this. I think they stay healthy then.

When mine start to look a little dry, especially the vintage with original handles, I use plain mineral oil. Wipe them heavy, let sit for a few hours, then wipe them off. Seems to work well. For new handles, I just wipe them with mineral oil and wipe them off right away once in a while. Normally when they hit the stones.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

If I'm not going to use a knife every day, I give the handle a good coat of 'board butter' then wrap them in plastic wrap.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Board butter here too, then buff with a clean dry towel. If they're particularly bad I'll coat 'em in mineral oil for a few hours, buff, then board butter again.

Can ho wood be stained?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements