Quantcast
NKD Harner parer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NKD Harner parer

NKD Harner parer

Just picked up this parer from another forum member. Cleaned up the handle and put a fresh edge on it and I'm really impressed. Arrived with a few small chips in the edge and felt quite slick on the stones making me think the steel is quite hard, unsure of what the steel is though (guess was S30v?). It's waifishly thin, and has taken a scary edge (5k SS then strop), going to stay with the sister this weekend and she likes to use a parer for everything so will take it along to get her expert opinion. Only worry is if she likes it I might end up losing it

Apologetically poor iPhone pic, I blame the mirror finish for being hard to photo....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	12490

Will give an update when I've had a chance to use it for a while, but first impressions are great, nice weight in the hand, comfortable blade shape and nice length.

Beautiful. I've had the pleasure metting Butch, he lives about 10 mins from me, and came into my Bistro to eat and chat. He let me handle a few of the knives he had in the truck, and I fell in love. I'm just to poor, lol. I'm sure you'll be happy with that one. I'm on the prowl for one of his parings, as that all I'll be able to afford for some time, but damn, his f&f is simply amazing.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

You are going to lose it. No doubt about it.
    I absolutely love my Nakiri from Butch.
    I hear similar comments from people who own his knives and straight razors.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Nice score, looks like a good one. I love Butch's work. I had the pleasure of using one of his knives in a passaround.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

He's one of m go-to guys for a reason. He's one of the best. Congrats on your new knife. It's a beauty!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It's my first Butch, and if shipping and customs to the UK wasn't so expensive I'd be having a harder time convincing myself I don't need another. It's also not a knife to use to cut against your thumb over the pan, so I might be able to keep it.....

Looks lovely. First uk Harner?! I'm soo tempted for Leftys Harner nakiri for my new set up. Mind you the only other gap in my new setup is a parer so if you suddenly don't like it......

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    It's also not a knife to use to cut against your thumb over the pan, so I might be able to keep it.....
    The reason being???? Beautiful knife!

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    The reason being???? Beautiful knife!
    I'd need a pretty thick callous as its treetopping sharp, I have visions of someone using it like they would a typical non-Knut parer and taking the top off their thumb. I was surprised at how quickly it took a good edge. It formed a burr that was barely noticeable so I probably spent a bit longer than I could have making sure i was at the edge all along, and it still took less than 10 minutes for the full progression including lapping the stones and setting new bevels after taking out the chips at the belt grinder.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Ahh...so it's so sharp to have to be too careful. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread