Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King stone info

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Thanks Dave, that makes sense. But what are the IceBear stones like compared to the Deluxe stones? Are they the same stones with different names, or different stones all together?

It's likely that Matsunuga (King) or the importer just slaps a Deluxe stone into an IceBear box. Depends on what the importer wants.

Also, as I mentioned before, Ice Bear sells Kitayama and many others relabeled.

I used a big brick as my medium stone for yrs. at work.I am sure it was a King,because I got it fr.Cherry Japanese Imports,same place I bought my Masamoto gyuto's over the yrs.Cherry sells the King Deluxe for 28.00.I still have my massive old brick 9.5"x4"X2.75" thick.I stopped using it when I discovered Bester's.

I still reccom the King for someone on tight spending just getting into freehand,however I encourage them to spend an extra 20.00 & get a Bester.

Not 100% sure but I've heard somewhere that the brand Sun Tiger is also a rebranded King

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I used a big brick as my medium stone for yrs. at work.I am sure it was a King,because I got it fr.Cherry Japanese Imports,same place I bought my Masamoto gyuto's over the yrs.Cherry sells the King Deluxe for 28.00.I still have my massive old brick 9.5"x4"X2.75" thick.I stopped using it when I discovered Bester's.

I still reccom the King for someone on tight spending just getting into freehand,however I encourage them to spend an extra 20.00 & get a Bester.
    I did a sharpening seminar/session at a retaurant recently, and the chef had a massive red brick - literally the size of a real building brick. It was super muddy and cut fairly quickly. Didn't seem like it needed to be soaked. I was wondering if it was the XL King 1000.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    hyper dishes pretty fast
    IME it doesn't dish as nearly as fast as the Deluxe. Also, it's complicated. There are relatively soft stones that do their work so quickly that they don't have a chance to dish. Stu Tierney did a nicely controlled test of this on 14 stones, including King Hyper, Deluxe and Neo, here.

Here are his conclusions on the Hyper:

Another fly in the ointment is the King Hyper. While it sits solidly on the right side of the graph, the amount of observed dishing and follow up strokes is quite low. Why is that? Again, there’s a logical explanation. The King Hyper is made of similar stuff as the hard, ceramic stones but in a softer binder so it does ‘spend’ itself to get the work done quickly. However, because the abrasive is quite tough and high quality, what’s being shed and left on the stone is still working very hard and not ‘spent’ as it might be if the abrasive used was less durable.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    I did a sharpening seminar/session at a retaurant recently, and the chef had a massive red brick - literally the size of a real building brick. It was super muddy and cut fairly quickly. Didn't seem like it needed to be soaked. I was wondering if it was the XL King 1000.
    Probably a King,It was my main stone for yrs.Yes it is a soaker,I usually soaked half hour before end of my shift.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    i stand corrected =D
    Don't be so hasty.

There are two different King Hyper, one soft like the Deluxe, another quite a bit harder and more dish resistant. Chances are, you may have the hard and John has used the soft.

It's confusing because the 'hard' is actually labelled as 'normal' IIRC, but the soft is clearly marked as 'soft'.

In my experience and testing, the hard Hyper is not particularly hard, but compares favorably with a Naniwa Superstone 1K, is a lot faster and more capable but they're a little pricy for what you're actually getting. Not bad, but not great.

Stu.

alrighty =D

thanks.

King offers an 800, 1,000, & 1,200 - all seemingly very close in grit range. Anyone any better/worse than another? I can possibly see using the 800 as a coarse stone, and the 1,200 as a medium grit stone.

Also - are the Bester equivalents really worth the extra cost?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements