Quantcast
A high-end no-fuss knife - contradiction in terms? - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: A high-end no-fuss knife - contradiction in terms?

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    It's not so much as putting a better edge on your knives than a machine can, which is easily doable. It's more about caring for your knife through proper maintenance. I don't think the machine can put a proper asymmetrical edge which is required for Japanese knives. Without a proper edge the knife will wedge or steer or both. The machine won't properly thin behind the edge as you would after repeated sharpening either, leaving you with a thick wedge over time. Machines just grind away metal shortening the useful life of the knife. Then there's convex edges, micro bevels, stropping etc. There's just so much more you can do freehand vs machines and jigs its ridiculous. You can do anything freehand on stones, any other system has limitations.
    Sharpening machine> if it is 2 circular stones, then it is designed for symetrical edge. Eventually the edge will become symetrical. Also bear in mind that the thinner Japanese knives, the Cnnvex grind may affect the edge retention as the over all result is too thin.

finally, it may be simple, just sliding it between the stones the whole length but it is too aggresive. The thicker part of the knife towards the handle area is always thicker and needs more grinding. ON a flat stone you can do what is needed accordingly.. ON teh circular stone machine, I suppose there is a way to do this?

Whilst you are at it, Have fun. I used mine for a week adn that was teh end of it..WLd only give it to someone I do not like.

Rgds

d

So, as an update on this nearly a year later: Still loving the Gesshin Ginga, and Iíve gotten to the point where Iím no longer hideously embarrassed at my sharpening ability, which is nice, too. And those scratches on the blade add character, right?

My opinion at this point is not only that this is an excellent knife, but that itís especially an excellent knife for beginners, because:

1. It is stainless, so all the carbon steel care stuff doesnít need to come into it. If youíre coming from a regular olí German knife, you donít need to be any fussier about this one.

2. Itís easy to sharpen. Now that Iíve gotten to the point where I can put a good edge on it, and have a reasonable idea of what Iím doing, I can look at other knives and see how much more difficult theyíd be to sharpen, with their secondary bevels or what-not (as others were saying earlier in this thread). This one is very straightforward: It has a thin edge, and you sharpen that edge straightforwardly, and the blade itself is thin enough that you donít really need to do more than that.

If youíre in the position I was at the start of this thread, I can definitely recommend this knife. It certainly lives up to the no-fuss, high-end goal that I was shooting for. So, thanks again, everyone.

Now thenÖ

While thereís absolutely no reason for me to need another gyuto, I find myself wanting another one just so I can compare and contrast, and find out where my tastes really lie.

So, what Iím looking for is a gyuto to explicitly contrast with the Ginga, one thatís going to be pretty dissimilar in some major ways. Maybe a blade on the thicker side of average (and definitely not another laser). Probably carbon or at least semi-stainless. A different profile maybe. 270mm instead of 240? Although obviously I still want it to be excellent, not just different for the sake of being weird.

Iím biased toward a knife available from JKI, as I was very pleased with the experience from them, but if thereís a strong recommendation for a knife they donít sell, Iím interested in hearing it still.

Right now, after some googling and reading, my first thought is the Gesshin Heiji. Itís a lot thicker, itís got that secondary bevel so would sharpen up differently, and general opinion on it seems to be pretty positive.

Given my goals, does that seem like a good choice? Anything else youíd recommend instead?

I'd say that meets your requirements spot on. Others to consider woild be shigefusa, kato, or watanabe.

Quote Originally Posted by mkozlows View Post

While thereís absolutely no reason for me to need another gyuto,
    Anything else youíd recommend instead?

Lies.

Try a Kato or a shig.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

A Yoshikane SKD could be another example of a (good) knife with marked differences with your Ginga

Gengetsu or Gesshin Heiji would be noticeably different that the Ginga. Heiji's are getting a lot of attention recently and it's justified. Another solid option is Kochi. But if you want thicker than average, the Heiji will treat you really well.

If you want to try a 270, look for a passaround.

Congrads on stepping into the world of J- Gyuto's.Also learning to freehand keeps the edges going.I would talk to Jon since your experience with JKI was good.He sells all kinds of high end knives.Stain-resistant & great carbon blades.

I too love my Gesshin Ginga. I have a white #2 and the grind makes it one of the best slicers I own. Edge holding is pretty good but due to the grind it still glides through food even when it needs a touch up. The stainless version should be just as good.

Glad I found this thread! I just purchased my first high end kitchen knife today and I believe its the exact one you have (240mm Gesshin Ginga from JKI). I'm a total novice when it comes to kitchen knives but am looking forward to putting this one to use.

+ Reply to Thread