Anniversary Dinner help please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinblue

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've spoiled and bought a couple of luxury items for my dear wife, foie gras and black winter truffle. I want to really do it up right for the girl, love her dearly.

Off the top of my head, was thinking of homemade pasta, foie on top and shaved truffle on top. Any help on suggestions are welcomed.

Any other ideas I should consider? Maybe a couple of smaller dishes instead of this single thought.

Thanks Folks.

truffle pasta sounds good, throw in some pancetta as well. but the foie should be served on the side seared with the standard chestnuts and dates. then get the fry drippings from the foie and make a sweet fruity sauce, like maybe apricots or sweet cherries. i dunno, talking out of my ass at the moment.

=D

I should have mentioned, I have some duck confit I haven't cracked open yet too.

Here is what I'd do with those ingredients if it was my anniversary and my wife wasn't vegetarian. (Slap forehead)

If you've some suck confit on hand I'd put that through the pasta, cook yr pasta off and set it aside, sweat off garlic, shallots, thyme, pancetta lardons in some of the duck fat from the confit. As yr doing this, per slice the truffle ams put the slices gently into a air tight container. I know this lacks the theatre of shaving truffle at the table, but you can then put any truffle scraps you produce (and you will) into the base of the past sauce to gently sweat at the same time.

Once shallots are cooked out, deglaze with equal amounts Madeira and red wine and reduce to a syrup, add in yr duck confit that has been pulled apart, but not shredded. Toss in cooked pasta, perhaps some nice peas, fresh herbs (I like parsley and marjoram for this but whatever) a touch of finely grated Parmesan or pecorino, plate up and then dress with the nicely shaved truffle.

I agree about serving the foie separately. It doesn't need the carbs of pasta and is so nice on its own. I enjoy Brandied prunes with it myself.

Of course, this is just what I'd do...

Have fun and good luck with the dinner!

Another for plating/serving foie seperately. Very quick sear. I recently served with a balsamic/fig reduction that went over very well. A chef friend cautioned that too much is too much of a good thing and made portions 2-3 oz/person. Garnish plate with a pinch of arugula and you can call it a salad...

Pasta is good, especially as described above, but have you considered a risotto w confit? Even gooder.

Just from the perspective of an amateur who loves the simple pleasures: I would show my love by making fresh pasta and serve it with some kind of lighter 'Carbonara' sauce; cook a little bit of the minced truffle with the sauce and shave the rest on it table side. I also agree, the foie stands for itself. I don't like it drowned in sweetness, of the suggestions the balsamic-fig combo sounds the most appealing to me personally. I also had it with some caramelized Granny Smith apple wedges, deglazed with a bit of balsamico. Serve with a Sauternes from the year you got married and drink the rest of it with a nice light desert.

Stefan

Pasta is good, especially as described above, but have you considered a risotto w confit? Even gooder.

Yes, risotto is the primary plan of the confit when I make it. When I break down the birds, the bones are used in making stock, for risotto. Just didn't want to hang on to tunnel vision.

All, 10-4 on doing the foie as a separate dish.

I shaved off part of the truffle yesterday and mixed it with a stick of butter. I didn't use much of the truffle for this, but we'll see how it comes out regardless. The truffle smells amazing, but I tried one of slices and wasn't hit with a huge impact of flavor. Although, I've never had it before and certainly had no idea of what to expect.

I ordered both items from D'Artagnan and more specifically, Fresh Black Winter Truffle (Tuber melanosporum).

Thanks All.

Latest posts

Back