Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage sabatier blanks on ebay

Vintage sabatier blanks on ebay

I recently ran across some old vintage sab blanks on ebay. Two 10" chef blanks had a buy it now price, so I bought the both. Easy to find if you search ebay. They look like great project knives. Seller says they're over 100 years old, hard to say, but I'm going to ask more about the history. Also no maker stamp I guess. Just a friendly fyi

Are they heat treated? Is there an edge ground yet? What level are they finished to? Could be fun dyi....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

They are likely not heat treated and will be pain in a back to HT. Ask Devin.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Still sounds interesting. I just bought 2
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    They are likely not heat treated and will be pain in a back to HT. Ask Devin.

M
    Is there a way to tell if they have been heat treated? And if they haven't been yet, think I could send them out for a ht by someone like peters?

You can try to cut into metal with a file, to test if a steel is heat treated. If I recall it correctly, the steel on Sabatier blanks is similar to 1080.

Peters might do it. Give them a call.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

I bought some of these from this same guy about 20 years ago. I'm not sure if all of these are 100 years old or not because he had some of the smaller ones made out of stainless.

They need to annealed first, then hardened and tempered. They are droped forged and I don't think they were normalized or annealed.

Quench in oil from 1500f. Temper between 350 and 425 depending on desired hardness.

Hoss

The Word!

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    I bought some of these from this same guy about 20 years ago. I'm not sure if all of these are 100 years old or not because he had some of the smaller ones made out of stainless.

They need to annealed first, then hardened and tempered. They are droped forged and I don't think they were normalized or annealed.

Quench in oil from 1500f. Temper between 350 and 425 depending on desired hardness.

Hoss
    Damned good info, thanks much. I just with I had the skill and tools to do so. I might call peters to ask once I see the blade for myself. I bought purely as a project blade, I hope I didn't waste my money on a blade I won't be able to use. Thanks much for the info, guys.

Jay

I say send it to hoss and have him grind and finish it for you;-)