Quantcast
Vintage sabatier blanks on ebay - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage sabatier blanks on ebay

Smile Learning as I go

Hello. I recently purchased a few of these blanks as well. I'm a total newbie in knife making. Getting a few books to educate myself. Pardon my ignorance on this so far... regarding this particular type of steel, any additional information on the following would be great. Especially from DevinT since it looks like he's done these before.
    Annealing - temp, time and cooling?
    Harden - time?
    Temper - time?
    Any other advice?

Thanks in advance. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw what I was planning. I'm hoping to change her conclusions on how this will end up.

Welcome Joelg!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by joelg View Post
    Hello. I recently purchased a few of these blanks as well. I'm a total newbie in knife making. Getting a few books to educate myself. Pardon my ignorance on this so far... regarding this particular type of steel, any additional information on the following would be great. Especially from DevinT since it looks like he's done these before.
    Annealing - temp, time and cooling?
    Harden - time?
    Temper - time?
    Any other advice?

Thanks in advance. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw what I was planning. I'm hoping to change her conclusions on how this will end up.
    Anneal= heat to 1450'f for 1 hour, drop temp to 1275'f for 4 hours, furnace cool.

Hardening= soak at temp for 10 min, quench in oil

Temper immediately for one hour. 2x for 1 hour will give more toughness, 1X for 1 hour will give more wear resistance.

Advice= do not bring knife project in the bedroom and set on the night stand or head board to admire during the night. Take wife to dinner often and tell her that she is more important than your new hobby.

Hoss

Thanks Hoss

Thanks Hoss. Great information - especially on the advice!

oops
    Last edited by boar_d_laze; 01-30-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: oops

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    A wild BDL appears!

*snaps picture for proof*

I seen 'im. I seem 'im with ma own eyes!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I bought some of these from this same guy 20 years ago. He said at that time that they came from a Sabatier factory in France. The ones I got are drop forged and have bolsters and full tangs, made from a simple carbon steel, and need to be annealed before heat treatment. I don't think they are 100 years old because there were some smaller ones in stainless. I have a WIP in my sub forum on building one. Maybe a mod could post a link if it is appropriate.

Hoss

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I seen 'im. I seem 'im with ma own eyes!
    Without that porcine provocateur I'd still be bragging about my New West Knifewurks.

And have a lot more money.

first post here!

Great thread, Thank you. I have forwarded a lot of this info to buyers over the past two months.
    I have few pictures of knives finished from these blanks that I would like to post here. Some amazing work for sure! (Not my work BTW, but the work of others.)
    is it possible to post photos directly from my computer or do I have to upload them into photo bucket first?

Thank you.