Some purdy end grain boards soon to be available in AU

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schanop

Reaction score
Saw some of these purdy end grain boards on a local BBQ forum. grillpro will be selling these and from the linked page it states that available wood options include Jarrah, Oak, Spotted Gum, Blackbutt, Sydney Blue Gum, and Brush Box.

They are pretty, but wood used seem to have high janka rating with Oak being just the one exception. Is there anyone keen to try these out?

Exotic-Spotted-Gum-2.jpg

Exotic-Brushbox-2.jpg

Exotic-Blue-Gum.jpg

Exotic-Blackbutt.jpg

Oak.jpg

Jarrah-2.jpg

Jarrah-3.jpg

Jarrah-Flip-Flop-Style-underside.jpg

Jarrah.jpg

I think DAVE (grill pro/yoder smokers) is in Adelaide and get some craftsmen to build these for him. The thread I saw these boards was originally here.

I'm interested. Any idea of pricing?

Nope. If you find out, Jeff, let us know.

If it is on the high side, I would be keen on importing Hinoki, Ginkgo, or Yanagi board from Japan instead.

I looked for ages for a good end grain in ozzy, but found none near the standard of daves boards. Just got a big maple from him, and although shipping was steep, well worth it. I would be interested in these when someone gets one as i think i need another......

Wood layout could be better (for structural stability), but otherwise, good looking boards.

I like them a lot. I also like longer, narrower boards, as I find they're easier to clean. They sure are pretty!

They look like sushi prep boards. Very nice looking.

Wood layout could be better (for structural stability), but otherwise, good looking boards.

The structural stability of anything made exclusively out of 40mm (or so) bits of end grain timber will not be effected by the layout of the glue joints (provided they're done properly). And yes, they are great looking boards.

Got an email replied from David for my price inquiry. It is a little bit the steep side, but, hey, this is Australia.

Australian Hardwoods – Jarrah or Oak
Medium - 500 x 320 x 45mm thick - $299.00
Large - 650 x 320 x 55mm thick - $359.00
Extra Large – 800 x 320 x 65mm thick - $439.00

Stackables – 320mm square x 45mm thick - $219.00 each or 3 Stackables for $589.00

Australian Exotic Timbers – Spotted Gum, Blackbutt, Sydney Blue Gum & Brush Box.
Medium - 500 x 320 x 45mm thick - $399.00
Large - 650 x 320 x 55mm thick - $469.00
Extra Large – 800 x 320 x 65mm thick - $569.00

At least you heard back. I'm still waiting.

Sadly way too expensive. I just made one for myself. Admittedly without decent workshop tools such as a thicknesser and saw bench but nonetheless I appreciate the amount of work that goes in to these things. If that's how much you have to lay out I'd consider doing another one. You need two really. One for proteins and the other for vegetables.

Yeah, wow, the prices! Anyone tried a DIY on an endgrain board?

Yeah, wow, the prices! Anyone tried a DIY on an endgrain board?

Yeah, I've got a Hinoki one I butter my toast on every morning for breakfast...

And I've also got a small one of the ones mentioned in the OP. Was given it as a wedding present, which was 10 years ago (!) 2 days ago (!!!).

But I do happen to have a workshop with thickness planer, jointer, bandsaw, tablesaw, etc.

It is, for me, an hour or two to make up a board as big or small as I would like.

Finding that hour or two is the problem...

Stu.

Would you use a 2 pack epoxy glue like araldite?

No, I wouldn't. If you find a water proof, food safe aliphatic type glue that's more than good enough. Don't know where you live (with a name like sambal it would have to be Malaysia/Indonesia?) but I think you can get these and similar type glues in most hardware stores around rthe world http://www.carbatec.com.au/titebond-ii-premium-wood-glue_c11792?zenid=5q5elfcn0shrihlkcvb2bg9pk0 The objective of the glue is just to hold it all together. There is no way with any glue you're going to stop the board moving around/splitting so it's a complete waste of time using high end structural glues. This aside from the possible (somewhat overblown I think) health effects of eating bits of epoxy/polyurethane or whatever. The secret is to seal the sweet living bejesus out of it and saturate it with oil (orange or tung or whatever). I made mine a couple of weeks ago and saturate it with orange oil every couple of days. I'm in the process of getting ingredients together to make a beeswax based polish. Have fun. It's a lot of sanding particularly if it's all a bit wonky because you haven't any access to a thicknesser or saw bench. I covered my entire garage (it was too hot outside at the time) with an inch of the very fine dust you get from sanding end grain.

I'm in Melbourne actually, so good ol' Bunnings? What's aliphatic glue? PVA type? Any particular Aussie timbers better than others? Wouldn't Jarrah, Ironbark, Brushbox be too hard on knife edges even if they're endgrained?

The suitable glue at Bunnings is Selleys Aquadhere Exterior PVA+. Not sure about end grain hardness and how this effects your knife. I've used a normal jarrah cutting board for years but didn't have any seriously hard knives. I must admit it doesn't worry me too much. In fact if the end grain's soft wouldn't a j-knive cut further in to it and you'd lever your cutting edge off? I thought I was in danger of doing that a few times but it wasn't the case.

You might want to check out a few board making videos on youtube before you go ahead buying materials. You need as a minimum sash cramps, an electric planer of some sort, an electric hand saw and a belt sander. If you're planning on buying the timber from Bunnings you might as well buy one already made up! Timber prices are totally through the roof.

Back