New to the Forum, Forgecraft Search Brought me here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bphelan

Reaction score
Hello for Central NJ,

Knife greenhorn checking in from Central NJ. I'm 23 and just starting to get into knives. I'm currently a chemistry grad student. Currently I have a 8" chefs knife that I've had for quite a while, it's a german made knife that as I recall is a Wustoff, that a knife shop by my parents Warren Cutlery (Hudson Valley NY) labels as their house brand. I have a few other probably marginal knives that I also use, they'd probably make someone who actually knows about knives cringe!

Anyway, what really brought me to the forum is the search for information on some knives I found when cleaning out my girlfriends grandfathers house. They are Forgecraft by Washington Forge Inc of Englishtown NJ. Saw a small number of posts on these but I'm looking for more information. These came in a set of 5 (pairing, boner, cleaver, slicer and french chef) and are still in the original package. There was another block with more of the same brand that I didn't take, but I can have if they are worthwhile knives.

So people who know more than I do...what's the story on these knives, are they worth using and if so what should I do before using them. I'm here to absorb knowledge from the learned. Excited to be a member of the forum!

Here's a pic of the knives

b9kBal.jpg
[/IMG]

Lol, we talk about Forgecraft a fair amount, funny it registered on a search engine.

They are good knives, not great, but good no nonsense knifes that will last a lifetime or two depending on how you care for them.

On a daily basis I still use a 8" chef knife that my grandfather used.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome....while the primary audience of this forum enjoys Japanese knives a lot of us like old carbon knives from the good old USA....they r great knives if u ask me....enjoy em and stick around....Ryan

Welcome, nice set of Forgecrafts. I've never seen them in the package, very cool. They are great knives, just remember to clean them and wipe them dry after using. They are carbon steel and will require a little more upkeep than your Wustoff. Hang around for awhile, there's lots to learn.
Good to have you on board.

I'm VERY envious of that kind of find... I just got back some modified Forges from Mike Henry. These are great knives dollar for dollar. Especially when you put a proper handle on them. And those are basically NOS! Welcome to the forums!

I'm VERY envious of that kind of find... I just got back some modified Forges from Mike Henry. These are great knives dollar for dollar. Especially when you put a proper handle on them. And those are basically NOS! Welcome to the forums!

Guess I'll have to start looking into making handles, what kind of modifications were done on the ones you have? Guess I have a lot of reading on here to get looking at.

Guess I'll have to start looking into making handles, what kind of modifications were done on the ones you have? Guess I have a lot of reading on here to get looking at.

Handles are a personal preference, much like the knives themselves. There's a forum member named Mhenry, who not only makes amazing custom handles, but has perfected rehandling and customizing Forgecrafts. Just do a search for Mhenry, click his profile, and go to recent threads. His work is pretty awesome.

Honestly, that set is a great piece of history being in the original package and all. I'd saw keep those as is, and grab th others to re handle if your interested. The original handles really are not as bad as they seem.

It's just that it nots like they are rare knives, but in original packaging and all together is not something you see every day. Just sharpen them up, and use them as is IMO

as you know the forgecrafts were made by Washington Forge, They purchased the rights to the original company sometime in the 40's maybe 50"s. THe knives themselves have been around since the 20's. In 1968 the brand was discontinued and any new knives you see are actually old stock from that time. The steel is carbon 1095 and will take an amazing edge, it has decent edge retention and good food release. The profile is very versatile and very similoar to many Japanese knives. They are not particularly valuable, I wouldn't pay more then $60 for a pristine one but, then again I have owned literally dozens of them and they are one of my favorite American production knives. A set like that in pristine unopened condition in the original box about $75 to $100 dollars to a collector, to a cook with no money and a need for a good set of knives $60. The chef knife is where the value is depending on whether its the 8 in or the rarer 10". This is a knife made to be used and you will need to wipe it and take care of it until the patina builds because, it will turn things black. This set judging by the graphics on the box and the slightly different Forgecraft Hicarbon stamp was made at the tail end of the brand the late 60"s. If you are going to use them, get some sand paper and sand the handle scales even to the spine. This will make it more comfortable to use. It is a nice set. Hope this helps.

I like the "knives grandmother passed down to her granddaughter" tag. Great carbon set. Just be diligent about rising and wiping dry after each use, or you'll start to develop some rust nasties and it will reflect on the foods you prep. But don't despair, if it occurs, there are quick fixes to remove any rust or unwanted stains. Enjoy the score!

Should I be forcing a patina on these knives or just allowing to develop naturally? Any good links/advice on sharpening technique/stones on a budget. I sharpened my fair share of pocket knives in boy scouts but I've never done more than used a honing steel on my kitchen knives. I think the grandmother-granddaughter line is an view into 1950-60s America, I just can imagine some womanizing Mad Men types coming up with this line in an office somewhere...interesting stuff.

Edit: Also the chef's knife is a 10"

Greetings and sweet score! Develop the patina naturally, red meat works great. Sharpening is something that you can learn a lot about here...enjoy the ride and ask lots of questions.

Cheers!

I've only played with one of these(so far), but they take a healthy, non reactive patina pretty quick in my experience. Take a decent edge too.

Back