Western Style J knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eto

Founding Member
Reaction score
Just like to know what your thoughts are on taking say a Misono Chef knife and changing it from 70/30 edge to 50/50. Would there be much of a difference in performance?

Any comments would be great .

Thanks.
Jason.

I asked about the knife because UX-10's are a little thick at the edge and pretty solid 70/30 (almost 80/20) grind which makes them on the border line of not a great idea to do this to.

The thing is that what's important to note is that the blade, not just the edge bevel, is ground asymmetrically so by changing the edge bevel you serve to change the way the knife cuts more than anything. I have this info because I do a tremendous amount of re-conversions every year. So you have a knife that starts out OK then starts to twist and bind more and more with every sharpening. Eventually you need to thin major-ly from the inside to correct this problem.

Now if the knife was thin and 60/40 then you can pretty much do anything to it and it'll still cut well. It's the thicker more asymmetric knives that will bring you problems when messing with the edge ratios.

Thank You Dave this helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back