Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help identify this knife!

Please help identify this knife!

Hello, new to the forum here and happy to find it!

I honestly don't remember where I found this knife, rusted all to hell, with the tip broken off. I recently invested in my first whetstone, a King 250/1000 combo, and decided to finally get around to cleaning it up. Hit it with some bar-keeper's friend, ground a new tip, and took it to the stones. It cleaned up pretty nicely - I wish I had taken a 'before' pic of it!

I kind of like the remnants of rust pitting - gives it some character to be sure. It took a pretty sharp edge, considering my meager talents as a beginning sharpener. And it has already begun to develop a blue and copper patina.

I'm very curious when and where it came from, and what type of steel it is. Can anyone help me decipher this?

Thanks!

Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Tojiro maybe
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

it looks like a Masahiro, but which, is hard to say. i'd say it's a gyuto that has been ground a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Tojiro maybe
    no! Tojiro=藤次郎, Masahiro=正広
    Masahiro Carbon 240mm Gyuto for sure!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Nice find. Great restore!

Thanks, Charles, you nailed it! I think it must have been a 210 though, as it's just about 8" after the re-tip (sorry, should have said so). I had the feeling I was holding a nice piece of steel, thanks for confirming this! It's super light, and I love full carbon! Makes a great line knife, and will be good for honing my sharpening skills (npi)!
    Thanks for the welcome, I expect I will be spending a lot of time here!

Greetings ChefRJ! Nice knife score.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

cclin is correct. Masahiro 240 mm VC gyuto.