Please help identify this knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefRJ

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum here and happy to find it!

I honestly don't remember where I found this knife, rusted all to hell, with the tip broken off. I recently invested in my first whetstone, a King 250/1000 combo, and decided to finally get around to cleaning it up. Hit it with some bar-keeper's friend, ground a new tip, and took it to the stones. It cleaned up pretty nicely - I wish I had taken a 'before' pic of it!

powershot035.jpg

I kind of like the remnants of rust pitting - gives it some character to be sure. It took a pretty sharp edge, considering my meager talents as a beginning sharpener. And it has already begun to develop a blue and copper patina.

I'm very curious when and where it came from, and what type of steel it is. Can anyone help me decipher this?

powershot034.jpg

Thanks!

it looks like a Masahiro, but which, is hard to say. i'd say it's a gyuto that has been ground a good bit.

Thanks, Charles, you nailed it! I think it must have been a 210 though, as it's just about 8" after the re-tip (sorry, should have said so). I had the feeling I was holding a nice piece of steel, thanks for confirming this! It's super light, and I love full carbon! Makes a great line knife, and will be good for honing my sharpening skills (npi)!
Thanks for the welcome, I expect I will be spending a lot of time here!

cclin is correct. Masahiro 240 mm VC gyuto.

This is a Masahiro.

The handle on this thing is a disgusting slippery plastic? Is it?

One of my apprentices had one. Decent blade, bad handle.

Nice wood handle, in very good shape considering the neglect this knife obviously suffered. Brass rivets too. Maybe the newer ones have plastic handles, I see they have steel rivets. Looks like they've maybe come down in quality since mine was made. Any one know how long they've been making these, or when they stopped using brass rivets? I'd love to have an idea how old mine is.

Thanks again for the info, and the welcomes!

-RJ

I've got the 270 suji of this knife and like it quite a bit too. Biiiiig handle, could use a bit of rounding on the hard edges, but a good steel/value

believe it's a rosewood handle too but it may be another material.

Most definitely seen the same Masahiro virgin carbon with very same kanji and with plastic handle.

210 chefs knife.

Back