Quantcast
Knife Skills class... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife Skills class...

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    any video on the "back of the mug trick?" I've not seen it before...I can show newspaper though.
    I was about to ask about back of the mug.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I assist in 2 levels of knife skills classes a couple times a month. Mix of 25% lecture and 75% hands on for level 1. Approx 2.5 hr. Its amazing what people don't know.

Don't know what your food cost constraints are but assume they are part of the equation. We do vegetables and fruit only; carrot, onion, potato, garlic celery, apple, lemon. End of class products are grilled cheese/apple pannini and veg soup or grilled veg sandwich, apple slaw (use mandolin in level 2) and a leek/potato soup thats actually not bad. Have looked at including some proteins but can't make the math work.

Be glad to send you outlines, handouts, etc. Adopt at will.

Regards,

Dave
    I would LOVE the outlines/handouts...that would be awesome...and would mean I owe you 2X now!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

you guys have any thoughts on how much discussion around geometry, profile, steels? I'm thinking I might take my knives and let the students use them to see how much different they are (and what a proper...ok, decent..edge is).

you guys have any thoughts on how much discussion around geometry, profile, steels? I'm thinking I might take my knives and let the students use them to see how much different they are (and what a proper...ok, decent..edge is).
    Really depends who you are teaching. If you are teaching culinary students, I would. If you are teaching at a community organization who are trying to get people to cook healthy at home....just stick to teaching how to be efficient and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Really depends who you are teaching. If you are teaching culinary students, I would. If you are teaching at a community organization who are trying to get people to cook healthy at home....just stick to teaching how to be efficient and safe.
    This is definitely moderately interested home cooks...I wouldn't expect them to absorb much of the material, but rather just to get an idea of how much there is to it, and how little of it is discussed at WilliamsSonoma.

A brief overview of knife types and uses followed by safe and more safe techniques including common mistakes and danger situations.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Interesting that everyone brings their own knives. The SLT class I took had shuns galore.

I teach knife skills classes to the public every month. After a short lecture on knives, knife safety, sharpening, how to use a steel, and basic maintenance and cleaning, we teach them how to dice and julienne onion, dice and batonet potato, dice tomato, supreme two kinds of citrus, chiffonade basil, peel, mince, and make paste of garlic cloves, and peel and dice pineapple. Including the time for them to eat the meal we create with what they cut up, it's a two and a half hour class.

We provide knives, but encourage people to bring their knives from home. It's an interesting mix of cutlery to say the least. Occasionally, you see someone who picked up the sexiest knives SLT or WS had to offer, but mostly, it's a mix of very basic stuff with a decent representation of Wusthof and Henckels and almost every class there's someone who shows up with something from Cutco.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    any video on the "back of the mug trick?" I've not seen it before...I can show newspaper though.
    I saw this on a Carter video. Used back of dishes and mugs until I bought some stones.
    Chewie's the man.

I can say from experience, avoid scaring them. Most people are frightened by a really sharp knife. I made the mistake of passing one of mine around, I could see the fear in their faces as they imagined lobbing off a finger.

Otherwise keep it simple and basic.