Quantcast
Knife Skills class... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife Skills class...

That's a good observation Salty, thanks!

I see two possible formats for a class like this:

Each student prepares the same thing
    Have groups, and each group prepares something different

The first approach is nice b/c each student gets a crack at the entire repertoire
    The second increase the repertoire, and makes the question of what to do with the product afterwards a bit more difficult. It also makes repeating the class more sensible.

Any thoughts?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I took one of the knife classes a while back. In my case, the provided knives were death traps. Dull, clunky viking brand. So glad I brought my own. The teacher hit up all the basic cuts, knife care, a little info on using stones and hones and rods. 2hours flies
    Of the 2 choices u listed, I think it is easier to teach everyone the same cuts on the same items. Plus then everyone feels equal and less questions for you to deal with and slow down the class/learning.
    As far as what to cut, if u do carrots, celery, onions, chicken and the like, well u have a great base for a soup or a number of other options.

+1 on teaching everyone the same thing. That way you don't have someone so busy watching someone else that they chop off a finger.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Mingooch/Lucretia, thanks!

It always seems when a class does different things it's the other table that gets to to what you really, really wanted to try!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Don't try to do too many things,you will not have time.My first knife sharpening class,I had a blackboard for edge diagrams,talked some about Japan Gyuto's & steel.I was losing some of them.I asked for a show of hands to see how many knew what a burr is.No one raised their hand.Culanary Students,Most just wanted to have their knives sharpened.

I have streamlined my class quite a bit.Just sharpening,let them feel the burr,watch the technique.I teach as I go.If they buy a stone, I come back & do hands on one on one.A few at a time are becoming freehand sharpeners.

Cover Knife skills,let them cut food with my sharp knives,no cuts yet,I do keep a box of bandaids in my knife bag.

Peel pineapple,slice tomatos,green onions.Fruits & vegitables.Teach peeling,draw slice cut,forward push cut,chop,rock.

Last but not least Knife care-- NO EXCUSE FOR KNIFE ABUSE--,and safety.

OK, here's a first draft of the handout for the class. this just serves to structure the discussion and remind me to talk about certain things, it doesn't capture the detail of all of that. I like to leave a lot of room to respond to questions, gauge the students, etc.

any feedback is appreciated, my skin is very thick, I promise

Also, huge thanks to daveb for providing the skeleton for a lot of this!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...AmVCoj-o4/edit

Hi Zwiefel,My class is diff. fr. yours since my main goal is to teach freehand to culinary students.My first class I wasted way too much time talking about knives,types,steels the stuff knife nerds like,but 99% of the masses could care less about.

Knife care & Safety are important & can be covered rather quickly.You are doing quite a few things including preping some food.My suggestion is to cut way back on your knife types,Japanese Stainless Gyuto,Petty,Santoku,maybe breadknife I would leave that out as well.

Esp. since this is general public,leave out mono vs. laminate,Usuba,Deba,Ceramic,the single bevels because they will never use them,Ceramic they cannot sharpen.They will want to know what a good knife to buy is.Keep it short & simple.

Thanks Keith...that's a good bit to think about.

Looking through your handout, you are covering a lot of ground. Since most of the students -- if not all -- are really, really hoping for a lot of hands-on knife skills training, I would gloss over the knife types, etc., spend a few minutes talking about basic grips and safety, and the lions share of the time on the demonstrations/ doing part of things. Like a couple others here, I attended a SLT knife-skills class, and frankly you can burn 1/2 hour just on dicing an onion or carrot because there will be a couple people in there who really need you to hold their hand.

The handout will go a long way towards providing them with additional knife information, so you will still be educating them about all things knife-related, just not necessarily during the class.