Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Straightening Block/Stick

Straightening Block/Stick

I have an old Yanagi that I want to practice sharpening on before I go at the one I bought from Jon at JKI.

I've taken it to the stones a few times before, but the tip is stubbornly bent enough to be a pain in the a**. I've tried to straighten it by hand, but it still isn't how I'd like it.

I know people probably have DIY straightening blocks, and I think Dave used to sell them, but does anyone have design suggestions or know of vendors that sell them. Dave??

I found this link below, but $80 seems a bit high unless it is really a lot better product.

http://www.yamashoinc.com/supply/kit.../yss/index.htm

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Mark at CKTG sells a copy of that one.

You can also make one yourself. A simple broomstick handle with a notch cut in it works wonders. Careful with tips though - snappy stuff.

Yeah, after I posted this I saw Mark's version, but $55 still seems high for this simple item.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Yeah, after I posted this I saw Mark's version, but $55 still seems high for this simple item.

k.
    But it's made from real Wisconsin oak.

The best version I made was from an oak dowel I scored for like $4 at Home Depot that I cut a notch into. Trust me folks - low tech works here.

Here's a pimped out low tech dowel version I made once, I gave it away to someone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	417  

best in the world

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

k.
    Send me a PM, I can make you a simple one for free, just pay for the shipping. White oak, possibly from North East.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you can't make one from those pictures, you deserve to pay $80.00!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sorry, that was uncalled for. It's that Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Send me a PM, I can make you a simple one for free, just pay for the shipping. White oak, possibly from North East.

M
    Marko, would you want pics and measurements for the one Mark sells?

Rick