Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Straightening Block/Stick

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Jon, can you elaborate on this? Just curious. I was to make a couple for myself, but now you planted a seed of doubt in me. Opps, never mind.
    will i see you at the ecg? we can talk about it more then. A lot of stuff is difficult to explain and would be easier if i could just show you.

Ok. I will play with the prototypes in the mean time. I need to come up with a good system to straighten tangs.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

use a hammer on the tangs... thats how they trained me. Again, i can show you more of what i mean at the ecg. Especially for the tangs of honyaki blades, specific types of hammering can be used to straighten the tang without causing damage to the blade... its delicate though.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    use a hammer on the tangs... thats how they trained me. Again, i can show you more of what i mean at the ecg. Especially for the tangs of honyaki blades, specific types of hammering can be used to straighten the tang without causing damage to the blade... its delicate though.
    need an anvil then.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    need an anvil then.
    wouldnt hurt... but many just use a smaller spike like piece of metal mounted into a wood base... the top of the spike is flatish, but rounded off on the sides. Works well for tangs and other handle replacement/repair things.

Jon you bring up some good points that I tend to over simplify and not point out, which can lead to mistakes. I suppose this is because I've been lucky in getting the straightening correct most of time from the get go but I have done a couple that I got myself into a mess that took time to figure out and I've also seen a few really whacked out ones that looked to have been "straightened" out incorrectly and needed some TLC to get fixed again.

post a pic...

My $0.02 on this is that the sticks everyone is discussing are for blades that generally have warped. If your blade tip is bent, like what happens sometimes in shipping, thats a different kind of fix. So post a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    post a pic...

My $0.02 on this is that the sticks everyone is discussing are for blades that generally have warped. If your blade tip is bent, like what happens sometimes in shipping, thats a different kind of fix. So post a pic.

This never occurred to me but is so true.

Man Jon, this subject is so Japanese. The tools don't matter, the skill is nuanced, hard to explain, etc. :P

I seriously feel like so much I learn of traditional Japanese culture ends up like this. Like, if you really want to know about it, you have to go live there and be in it to get it.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like a dick when I describe these things because it sounds like I'm telling people they can't do something...if I could soon it well online, I world...but I can't because so much that is important would be missed...like the super light grip on handles...even with my description and video, people still don't quit get me until I can show them in person. I wish I could be more helpful here.