Quantcast
Rehandle Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rehandle Help

Rehandle Help

This is a different kind of rehandle, though. I'm thinking of rehandling my Dad's old Estwing claw hammer. It's a 20oz hammer that I made sure I got when he died, over 11 years ago. For some reason, this hammer and his Snap-On pocket knife have always stuck out in my mind, when I think of him. Unfortunately, the knife disappeared, but my "everyday" hammer is the one I inherited from him.

Well, the hammer is as awesome as ever, but over the course of 20+ years, the handle is cracked at the bottom and sliding off the shank. I am wanting to either put a nice wooden handle around, for a hybrid/hickory look, wrapping it in leather, like the other Estwings we all know, or maybe getting a dyed piece of maple to have a similar look, but give it an interesting update. The issue with this is, I can't find any stabilized, dyed maple big enough, and I'm kinda wondering how to go about it. I'm assuming I could do it like a wa rehandle, but the shank is so long, I doubt I could drill far enough into the wood.

So, what do you guys think I should go with, and how do I go about it???

It looks just like these, but of course, with more of a claw at the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Estwing-1.jpg
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Would think that the primary function of the handle would be shock absorption - both for the user and the hammer. Would something elastic topped with scales work and look nice? With that I'll defer to our resident engineers.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Hmm, that is a hard one. How hard are you going to use it? I think I would start by removing the old handle and seeing what the shaft looks like. Then probably go from there. I guess you could just get a big piece of hickory and drill out then center then shape it from there, Or even just a bunch of leather oval spacers.

i think i would opt for a laminated leather handle, myself.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Honestly I would write the company that made it (if still around) and tell them the story. I'm sure you can get a replacement handle for it.
    Chewie's the man.

oh, Estwing is certainly still around, and i'm sure they would be happy to help, it seems like that kind of company.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Honestly I would write the company that made it (if still around) and tell them the story. I'm sure you can get a replacement handle for it.
    +1 What's to lose?

Not a bad idea. I'll do it now and get back to you guys. Thanks for the suggestion.
    09/06

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    A long time, generally well respected company like this should give you good response. I always write to companies when I have a problem and have gotten everything from coupons to free stuff, or at the very least good advice or direction. 'Course you don't want a free hammer, cause this one is your dad's, but I bet they come up with something for you when they find that you are trying to restore what is basically a family heirloom from their company. Try to get past the receptionist to someone in the shop.

We'll have to wait and see Email has been sent, so there's no turning back now.
    09/06