Quantcast
Wood for a block.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood for a block.

Wood for a block.

This is crazy and overly ambitious for me, but I think I would like to make my own knife block. My question is where are you all finding wood, maple, walnut or other? I have tried to big box home stores but am only finding poplar.

Thanks for any insight, Matt

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    This is crazy and overly ambitious for me, but I think I would like to make my own knife block. My question is where are you all finding wood, maple, walnut or other? I have tried to big box home stores but am only finding poplar.

Thanks for any insight, Matt
    I have had discussions with Mark over at Burl source about putting together a block using a burl. I'll let you have it if you'd like.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

There has to be someone in SLC that sells hardwood.

Intermountain wood products SLC

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I have had discussions with Mark over at Burl source about putting together a block using a burl. I'll let you have it if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer, I kind of want to build it myself, that way it fits my knives perfect. Besides you are going to need someplace to put all your cool projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    .... My question is where are you all finding wood, maple, walnut or other? I have tried to big box home stores but ...
    Big box retail stores really only sell commonly used building materials, like stuff you use to build generic houses.

You want to find places that sell wood to furniture makers, wood turners and custom builders. Every big town and most small towns have suppliers like these but they don't necessarily have a high profile that's visible to the average person in their daily travels. They're usually found in industrial areas.

Try looking under hardwood in local directories. You can also or ask local cabinet shops or furniture makers where they get their wood. School shop teachers are great resources to ask.

here are a couple that Google popped up:

http://www.macbeath.com/
    http://www.highmountainforest.com

You can also search with: http://www.woodfinder.com

sr

Never forget ebay. You can find some pretty sweet large slabs on there.

They sell hardwoods and cutting board kits at craft stores. See if you can find a craft store nearby.

Matt, you would be looking a "bowl blank" sized hunk of say maple as a MINIMUM size for what you want to do. Length is going to be an issue. You might be able to find some nice boards with flame figure. Remember that the interior ones don't have to look good all over. In the past, i have found full length maple planks with maybe a foot or two of flame on them.

I was planning on using Hearne Hardwoods when I was contemplating building a block. I finally commissioned the 35 slot wusthof block that I fixed up and I kind of wish that I had just built my own. My plan was to use cheaper grade wood on the interior and probably highly figured maple on the front, top and side.