Thinning asymmetric blades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given an asymmetric, double bevelled blade. Left side flat, excepted for the tiny edge. Right face convex. No cladding involved. How do you thin? My first idea would be to keep the left face as flat as possible and reduce thickness on the whole left face to keep the edge in place and not enhancing the existing asymmetry. Do you ever decide to convex the left face as well?

Could you not just thin the lower half / third of the right face? It's what I've done in the past and it's worked.

The thread you referred to is one of the best on asymmetric sharpening there is. My question was more about thinning practice by others, but so far I've rather been confirmed in what I use to do.
What do you find so confusing, by the way?

This whole sharpening matter has me in a tizzy. Squillium says focus on the right side and Dave says focus on both sides. I guess that is what confuses me. I question whether or not i should keep waking up in the mornings.

and shouldn't we be thinning while we are sharpening? like dave says ... start with the bevel shoulder and work towards the edge.. .so everytime you settle down to sharpen, your also thinning?

Normally, when you sharpen, you will thin as well. From time to time you've a thinning job going far beyond that.

It seems some people recommend thinning only on one side, whereas others say you should do both sides equally. I am a lefty and only ever thin the left side and have been happy with how my knives cut, no steering at all, but next time I'll try both sides. Perhaps it's different being a lefty because you are trying to sort of change the asymmetry of the blade?

I aim to keep the convexity of the right hand side proportional to the original grind (as long as I like the ootb performance). On blades that have a flat ground left side, I don't thin the left at all.

Last edited:
i think it's a more of a pro sharpening thing knowing how to sharpen both sides. as i don't have many assymetric blades, i only know what to do with what i've got.

Back