Want to learn sharpening different steels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreezzzzz

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was about to expand my single knife collection :lol2: and because of this forum I learned that sharpening is a priority.
I bought myself a chosera 400 / 1000 / 3000 and started sharpening (Thanks for the youtube instructions Jon). First my cheap no brand stainless knives, my pocket knives, knives of family members and eventually my single "real" knife collection a Wusthof classic Ikon 200mm chef Knife. Now I have found myself a new hobby. Kitchen knives and sharpening, thanks guys, this is going to cost me a lot of money :paypal:.
I have still managed to keep myself from buying a J-Knife and am following a lot of advices given here. At the moment I can get the knives sharper then OOB. I do scratch them sometimes but I don't mind cause at the moment they are just cooking tools.
I want to give my Wusthof some friends so it makes my life in the kitchen easier and I can get better at sharpening. I am thinking of buying some knives with different steels to get a feeling of different kind of steels to sharpen, maintain and of course for preparing food.
I am thinking of a parer, utility and a sujihiki or a 240 gyuto. maybe one VG-10 core, one VG-10 and one carbon or so.
I am open for suggestions and advises.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Parer / Utility / Sujihiki / Gyuto

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
Expanding my knives to make life in the kitchen easier.
Learn to sharpen different steels

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
I am really happy with my Wusthof being sharper then OOB and I also like the western handle.
I would like to try out different knives to see what I like and don't like about knives.

What grip do you use?
Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
Rocking, Slice, Push-cut, Chop

Where do you store them?
It lays on a shelf. Planning on buying a magnetic strip.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Plastic. Going to buy wooden aswell

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Chosera 400 / 1000 / 3000

Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes

What is your budget?
500$

What do you cook and how often?
When I am at home I do the cooking.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
Nope

Thanks in advance

I would grab a 5 k stone for japanese gyuto. With a 500 dollar budget you could snag the stone, a gyuto, a petty,and maybe a parer , suji or breadknife..

I would grab a 5 k stone for japanese gyuto.

I would normally agree than 5K is the perfect stopping point for double bevels, as its where I stop all my knives.

However, considering his current stone lineup, I would hold off on that for now until he gets better and figures out what he needs. The Chosera 3000 would still be suited quite for this task -- I just purchased one a few weeks ago to be the finisher for my pocket knives with higher vanadium content -- the 3K is much harder than I would have imagined and leaves a better edge than I would have anticipated...it would be a nice stopping point in the kitchen for a suji or gyuto (haven't tried on my kitchen knives yet though)

Back