Quantcast
Satanite - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Satanite

Bill,
    satanite is for W2. I won't attempt hamon on 52100 until after I visit you.

I generally tend knives thicker at the spine near the handle, so stock I am interested in is 1/8-3/16 range. As Butch suggested, grinding excess is not an issue.

Please take a note that I am a complete noob in this field, though I have been reading, talking, and thinking about the subject of knife-making for a long time. I suspect it has to do with a procrastination, but I like to call it 'being cautious' and approach new things with small steps. So, anything you guys are willing to share is appreciated.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Hey Guys, was just reading about Markos Great Adventure to New Jersey Marko, it was nice to have you.

Butch,and anyone else interested, there is plenty of 3/32 W-2 to be had. I ran about the same weight on all the sizes under 1/4" and 3/32,being the thinnest yielded the most(and cost the most!). Hand rolling is about the only option we had for the thinner stock. I didn't think so many would be interested in using it for cutlery and folders.

I am very interested in going to the East Coast Gathering. If someone could fill me in I'd love to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Bruno View Post
    I am very interested in going to the East Coast Gathering. If someone could fill me in I'd love to come.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/announcement.php?f=4

Hey Guys, was just reading about Markos Great Adventure to New Jersey Marko, it was nice to have you.

Butch,and anyone else interested, there is plenty of 3/32 W-2 to be had. I ran about the same weight on all the sizes under 1/4" and 3/32,being the thinnest yielded the most(and cost the most!). Hand rolling is about the only option we had for the thinner stock. I didn't think so many would be interested in using it for cutlery and folders.

Yo Aldo, I just shot you an email.

This is a quote from Kevin Cashen. I thought Marko might be interested in what it has to say. I will bring some samples of this material for anyone who wants to give it a try. I don't sell it. I get it at the Heating $ Air Conditioning Supply House 2 doors down from the shop. I use this material to coat the inside of my Forges as well. It is rated to 3000 degrees.

"the American katana makers whose work impressed me the most all like furnace cement, it is convenient, easy to work with, readily available and highly effective. I have done side by side tests with furnace cement and satanite and found adhesion and insulative ability in the furnace cement to be much more to my liking. Furnace cement ashi have given me and others very crisp and defined hamon activity. Whomever's advice you take be certain not to mix and match advice from water quenchers with oil quenchers. You will need slightly different clay application and temperatures depending on what you are quenching into. For water you will have to take the low side on the heat and apply the clay more, for oil you will go higher in temp and take it a little easier with the clay (e.g. no slurry washes, and keep ashi off the very edge)."

This is a quote from Kevin Cashen. I thought Marko might be interested in what it has to say. I will bring some samples of this material for anyone who wants to give it a try. I don't sell it. I get it at the Heating $ Air Conditioning Supply House 2 doors down from the shop. I use this material to coat the inside of my Forges as well. It is rated to 3000 degrees.

"the American katana makers whose work impressed me the most all like furnace cement, it is convenient, easy to work with, readily available and highly effective. I have done side by side tests with furnace cement and satanite and found adhesion and insulative ability in the furnace cement to be much more to my liking. Furnace cement ashi have given me and others very crisp and defined hamon activity. Whomever's advice you take be certain not to mix and match advice from water quenchers with oil quenchers. You will need slightly different clay application and temperatures depending on what you are quenching into. For water you will have to take the low side on the heat and apply the clay more, for oil you will go higher in temp and take it a little easier with the clay (e.g. no slurry washes, and keep ashi off the very edge)."
    Hey Aldo,
    I am in for a sample.

M

Hi Marko. Just sent you a jar of satanite. Let me know what you think of it compared to the furnace cement.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Hi Marko. Just sent you a jar of satanite. Let me know what you think of it compared to the furnace cement.
    -M
    Thanks, Michael !
    It's going to be a little while before I get to testing though. Look forward to it.

M

+ Reply to Thread