Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see your sharpening stations

I made a simple sink bringe out of scrap lumber from my garage. I'ts strong and stable. I've got good light above, another sink to the right, a drying matt and towels to the left. Not pictured is a spray bottle with water, and other stones that may be soaking nearby. Pictured is a Yoshihiro yanagiba, 270mm, and a Bester 1200. As much as I love my JNats, I'm increasingly amazed with the edges I can get from this one Bester, and my Arashiyama 6000.

Cheers,

Jack

I worry about using the sink as stone residue could accumulate in the drain. Before my kitchen was redone the drain was easily clogged and was a b!tch to clear, so I am a bit gunshy about that.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have a glass-topped coffee table, and if I'm watching tv, I throw a towel on top of the table, slap down a stone, sit on the floor, and have at it. The stones live in a plastic bin of water that sits next to me and I can dip out of it as needed to wet the stone.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    I put this together last night I wanted to try something new.
    Cost $7 total
    Attachment 12564
    Kinda what I was thinking about. I just can't see myself paying for a sink bridge when I could make one. Now it's a towel on the edge of a cuttin board for clearance, with a bath towel under that to catch all the water. Still messy as hell tho.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Haha I notice this stone more than the sharpening set up. Very nice. Mainaman, which stone is this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    Haha I notice this stone more than the sharpening set up. Very nice. Mainaman, which stone is this one?
    Ohira suita
    I found a better pic of the set up, it is simple set up and works great for me

Mine is permanently setup around the sink in my laundry room. This is the cleanest it has been in a while...normally the whole counter, walls and washer are covered with slurry.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I worry about using the sink as stone residue could accumulate in the drain. Before my kitchen was redone the drain was easily clogged and was a b!tch to clear, so I am a bit gunshy about that.

Take it from me - stone sludge can and will clog up drains.