Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lets see your sharpening stations

I'd bet that is far more functional, and stable, than it looks from here. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by samuelpeter View Post
    I'd bet that is far more functional, and stable, than it looks from here. I like it.
    The things solid! Its like The bucket was made to hold a Todai-makura Block.

What's the advantage of a sloping-away-from-you platform? Wouldn't a level platform give a more neutral feedback on hand/arm movements? How are the ergonomics of a tilting platform better?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    What's the advantage of a sloping-away-from-you platform? Wouldn't a level platform give a more neutral feedback on hand/arm movements? How are the ergonomics of a tilting platform better?
    Ditto on the above questions, I almost feel if the sharpening surface was tilting away from me that it would cause my wrists to lift the blade knife up on the way down almost like a bad stropping motion.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    No special reason for this personally. Just feels better. However, I also reason that especially if you're standing and looking down on what you do it's easier to be consistent if the stone has an angle making it slightly more parallel to your line of sight. Easier to keep an eye on the angle this way.

i sharpen with the stone on a tilt away from me... it helps out with a few things including water control and ergonomics. Oddly enough it turns out that on a flat plane, your wrists have more of a tendency to turn up as you move away from yourself, so the angle helps a bit with that. Try it one day and see.

jon, this tilting the stone away from the sharpener can be achieved with the stone bridge(you carry)/cambro set up correct?

I made my own stone holder with an optional tilt, but once I tried the tilt I haven't gone back.

I use Jon's Suehiro set-up with the tray on a flat countertop. I've tried playing with the different tilts and in the end, I decided it doesn't matter and no tilt is easier to do since I sharpen wherever I happen to be, it's easier to take a stone or plate along and find a flat place to work. Maybe if I was sharpening all day, it would make a difference...