Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Lets see your sharpening stations

Yes, although I disagree on the water control point, which also makes me think of 'slurry control' too. (All this lingo we come up with here...) The stones tend to dry out at the higher end, obviously, and the slurry collects at the lower so I find I have to even things out, spread some slurry back up, and I add water at the top part as some will run down. This seems less convenient than if the stone were flat, but as I said for me the incline makes the sharpening motions and angle control easier.

love jki's stone bridge thing, it's adjustable and fits perfectly in a hotel pan. interestingly enough, all my metal pans are warped on bottom and dont sit flat where as the plastic ones are nice and flat. i too use it on a tilt. would have been nice if it came with a non slip mat to put over the surface though.

my latest setup:
    converted to splash n go from
    naniwa 150 - bester 1200 - rika 5000
    to
    chosera 400 - jns 1000 - jns synthetic aoto

freaking loving the chosera.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    my latest setup:
    converted to splash n go from
    naniwa 150 - bester 1200 - rika 5000
    to
    chosera 400 - jns 1000 - jns synthetic aoto

freaking loving the chosera.
    +1 on that chocera. Glad you like it. Pretty sure I may have recommended it. I love the choseras that I've got.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

Yeah you lead me to go chosera over gesshin, glad. I love this stone. The jns 1000 is awesome too, not loving the synthetic aoto as much but it gets the job done. jks 3000 feels nicer feedback wise, but the edge is better from the aoto.

I noticed all those 'want to buy ...' stone messages of yours. Were these 3 an upgrade for you, or more just a change? Glad to hear about the Chosera as I plan on replacing my current 400 with a Chosera at some point.

chosera was a huge upgrade, the 1k and aoto were more side steps (funny i got them both from mainaman who has a gazillion natural stones). honestly i think the rika feels best on stones and leaves the best edge, but i am glad i made the moves that i did.

This is my ghetto setup that I build based on videos/pics of other users.
    It's a plastic paint pan. The holder for the big stones has 2 legs at that bottom that match the pan width (not appreciated in the pic). And the stone is locked with the wedge at the top.
    The smaller holder fits perfectly in to the groves somehow and I use for the low height or narrow stones like Naniwa SS in the pic.
    Also, with time I added 2 magnets at each side and equipped my handmade strops with 2 metal something at the bottom so it would not glide back and forth on the pan.
    So far it has been working

Just found this thread, thought I'd post.

Recently moved most of my stone & mantenance stuff to this cosy top shelf in our living room adjoining the kitchen, too high for my daughter to grab. Never had enough room in the kitchen and so most of the stuff had been in my office. I'd sharpen and thin either at my desk (messy) or over in the kitchen.

Sorry as it's hard to make out details - things are compact - but you get the idea.