Lets see your sharpening stations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
I'm tiered of my set up, not my stones, just how I set them up for sharpening sessions. So I'm looking for ideas. I sharpen at home, in the kitchen (small apartment.) I'm a visual learner, so a picture speaks loudest to me. So lets see 'em guys

Joe

some stones not pictured

20121114_020816_zps4e4cf1a6.jpg

Whipped up this set up the other day.

Cost nothing, so a great economical choice. Used what I found.

photo_zpsae1a3467.jpg
[/IMG]

This is mine (during the summer). The stones are now soaking in my basement, and I just ordered some hotel pans and Jon's stone bridge. I am trying to come up with a better winter set-up.

k.

sharpening_station2.jpg

Dang, thats intense. I just use the kitchen sink.

Dang, thats intense. I just use the kitchen sink.
+1 and a suehiro stone holder. The stones that I use the most stay piled up on the kitchen counter.

I put this together last night I wanted to try something new.
Cost $7 total
image.jpg

my stone station is a silpat on top of one of my cutting boards. i usually just use a chunk i cut out of a thick outdoor rubber stair tread, instead of a stone holder. the sink next to the cutting board is adequate most of the time, as only three of my stones stay soaked (and they live under my kitchen island). i do stand on an anti-fatigue mat, though.

Yanagibasharpening_zpsb9d084c0.jpg

I made a simple sink bringe out of scrap lumber from my garage. I'ts strong and stable. I've got good light above, another sink to the right, a drying matt and towels to the left. Not pictured is a spray bottle with water, and other stones that may be soaking nearby. Pictured is a Yoshihiro yanagiba, 270mm, and a Bester 1200. As much as I love my JNats, I'm increasingly amazed with the edges I can get from this one Bester, and my Arashiyama 6000.

Cheers,

Jack

I worry about using the sink as stone residue could accumulate in the drain. Before my kitchen was redone the drain was easily clogged and was a b!tch to clear, so I am a bit gunshy about that.

I have a glass-topped coffee table, and if I'm watching tv, I throw a towel on top of the table, slap down a stone, sit on the floor, and have at it. The stones live in a plastic bin of water that sits next to me and I can dip out of it as needed to wet the stone.

I put this together last night I wanted to try something new.
Cost $7 total
View attachment 12564

Kinda what I was thinking about. I just can't see myself paying for a sink bridge when I could make one. Now it's a towel on the edge of a cuttin board for clearance, with a bath towel under that to catch all the water. Still messy as hell tho.

Haha I notice this stone more than the sharpening set up. Very nice. Mainaman, which stone is this one?

Mine is permanently setup around the sink in my laundry room. This is the cleanest it has been in a while...normally the whole counter, walls and washer are covered with slurry.

vmsiz5.jpg

I worry about using the sink as stone residue could accumulate in the drain. Before my kitchen was redone the drain was easily clogged and was a b!tch to clear, so I am a bit gunshy about that.

Take it from me - stone sludge can and will clog up drains. :D

Whipped up this set up the other day.

Cost nothing, so a great economical choice. Used what I found.

photo_zpsae1a3467.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey could you give me a run down of your set up? I really like the towel.

John

Hey could you give me a run down of your set up? I really like the towel.

John

I got the blue bin from the dominos pizza place on my block. Cost 9 bucks but the manager I know there gave it to me for free. sometimes it pays to eat **** food.

Found a piece of wood which I cut two pieces, one smaller which I cut to fit tightly in the bin. The larger piece I cut just enough to hang over the lip of the bin. Nailed them both together.

Friend of mine gave me two bottles of beer from Okinawa as a token for sharpening there knives which came in the cloth that I now use on my base.

I don't think you guys need to see pics of a slack belt sander.

I need to get more committed. Mine is either the countertop, with a 2x4 and one of those mats servers put on their trays wrapped around it. Underneath I put a damp towel and on top, whichever stone I'm using. I soak the stones in a Rubbermaid container.... But my shop is pretty cool!

Latest posts

Back