using dexter knife more than my japanese gyutos!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i find myself using 10" dexter sani-safe chefs knife more than i do my nice j-knives that cut considerably better. i'm thinking that the profile and size of the dexter just feels the most natural for me. are there any nicer knives than the dexter with similar profile and size (including height)? 240mm is too short and 270mm is too long, where as 10" is just right length.
http://www.dexter1818.com/Item_Details_1.asp?id=682&line=SS

my other knives:
takayuki grand cheff 240 (every day use, takes sharpest edge)
mac ultimate 10.5" (relegated for heavy duty use only)
mac pro 9.5" (just got it, havent put it to use yet)

considering masamoto vg 240

I got the Masamoto VG 210 in 2009. It was my first jKnife, and it was an eye opener to good performance. Now I have several knives that are considerably better (and considerably more spendy), but I still enjoy it and think it's a solid knife. I'm starting to really love SS clad carbon though...SO much easier to sharpen, and the care issues are greatly minimized with the cladding.

i love carbon period. stainless is a pain to sharpen for me.

=D

and i love patina.

I cringe just thinking of holding that knife.

I have some nice J-knives, but I find myself reaching for the USA carbon iron I resurrected and rehandled. That includes a 10" Lamson Goodnow, 8" Ecko Forge, 10" Forgecraft, 14" Dexter Scimitar and a 12" Ontario that is just too big to be practical in my kitchen.

i too tend to use my old hickory 10" chef a lot more than my gyuto. but then i don't have a lot of choices at the moment when it comes to knives. lol

What about Macs? There's a Mac in the Chef Series that is 255mm in length and has similar dimensions.

put mac pro 9.5" to use today, absolutely love it. still more comfortable with the dexter but it's pretty darn close, and of course it cuts a lot better. had to thin it out a little and put new edge on it however.

I have been using the same Dexter 10" Chef's knife for the last 50 or so years, as a home prepper.

I wouldn't trade my brand new Tojiro 210 Gyuto and 240 Sujihiki for a bushel basket full of Dexters.

Back