Knife dealer outside Yangshuo China

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0213.jpg

Note the silicon carbide sharpening stones in the upper left hand corner

Oh man, thats so cool, y wife would not like me to be around this guy thats for sure. ps, sorry for the newb question, but whats the excitement about the silicon carbide sharpening stones?

Someone asked about my Thai market knife seller photo and why there were no sharpening stones visable? Not sure in that case but every Asian knife seller I've found both here in the US and in China and Thailand always had pretty much the same Chinese made silicon carbide benchstone for sale with the cutlery.

When I was in Bhutan, no stones to be seen until I did a few stages to learn some of the cusisine and everyone had a trusty river rock they sharpened on.

the middle row looks a lot like the chinese cleavers we get here locally.

I was told those stainless steel cleavers in the middle row were more popular with the younger generation in China because they felt it made them look less "old fashion.

Yeah, that makes sense. I used to think of old cleavers with round wooden handles as crummy old pieces of crap - particularly the ones with dark, splotchy, why-didn't-they-get-stainless? baldes.

I certainly don't think that way about them now :)

I don't know, its hard to tell the younger generation in the cities from anyone on the street in the U.S. Pizza seems to be the national fast food but there was plenty of KFC and McDonald's every where I went. Again, for the kids.

Back