Quantcast
Is Usuba really necessary? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Usuba really necessary?

haha, well fortunately for me I work the sushi bar by myself for the most part.

then it probably works out okay.

I work in a sushi bar and I use a yanagi for katsuramuki too. It's not the "traditional" japanese way but it works for me. My big 3 is suji, yanagi, and chinese cleaver.
    Yanagi for katsuramuki, cutting scallion or chive, and usuzukuri. Chinese cleaver for chopping (tartar, spicy tuna, etc). And the rest is done by sujihiki (maki, nigiri, sashimi). Unless you work in old school kaiseki style restaurant, just stick with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Rio

That is how I have felt in the past Rio, and actually that is very similar to my big 3. Really I have been using a yanagi, gyuto and either a suji or petty as a third knife. It has worked well for me and I don't really find that I need the usuba but I'm always interested in broadening my skills.

Bao, I am interested in this ginsanko usuba you have. I would either have to sell some stuff or save up to buy it though.

Matt, we can work out something. If you want to try it, I can send it to you. If you like it, pay for it. If not send it back. I trust you. Shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverie View Post
    I work in a sushi bar and I use a yanagi for katsuramuki too. It's not the "traditional" japanese way but it works for me. My big 3 is suji, yanagi, and chinese cleaver.
    Yanagi for katsuramuki, cutting scallion or chive, and usuzukuri. Chinese cleaver for chopping (tartar, spicy tuna, etc). And the rest is done by sujihiki (maki, nigiri, sashimi). Unless you work in old school kaiseki style restaurant, just stick with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Rio
    it's a good thing KC Ma stays at foodie forums. i agree, use what works for you.

+ Reply to Thread