Lost chance at new cellphone, gained chance at new knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igasho

Reaction score
So I found out today the new cellphone I've been waiting patiently for is no longer on sale as of the day I could buy it......damn cellphone companies. This moves my money focus from a cellphone back to knives! \o/ happy day. And after massive amounts of reading reviews on this forum as well as many others I've decided I'd enjoy trying a, Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke Gyuto. Queue more bad news, I'm in Canada and am unable to buy one directly. Anyone have one they want to be rid of? Anyone want to convince me not to buy it and run in the opposite direction screaming murder? Or should I just wait til my next trip down south and have it previously shipped to my buddy in Portland OR?

Here's a review of it - http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8996-Tojiro-ITK-Kiritsuke

Short version: avoid it if you're not willing to put some work into it and want a polished knife right off the bat.

I am definately not looking for a polished knife, more than anything I keep hearing over and over that for the money it is a pretty good knife, and I want to learn the push style cutting technique. Maybe there is a better knife to go with price/value for this situation?

for push cutting, a nakiri or a chinese veg cleaver would do the truck.

Here is another review of the ITK Kiritsuke: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8134-ITK-Kiritsuke-A-few-words-and-pics

A nakiri is good at prepping veggies. A cleaver is good at prepping large amounts of veggies. If you are prepping a variety of veggies and proteins, then a gyuto would be a good choice.

An Usuba is a specialized knife for peeling vegetables and slicing them very thin. They have a reputation as being a challenging knife to sharpen.

Jay

Back