New to the forum, with a question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha05

Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums and wanted some input. I've been using an 8 inch wustof classic as my primary knife for 8 years. I like it and it has been a workhorse for me. That said I'm thinking about trying something a bit higher end. For a variety of reasons I've been considering the Z kramer from SLT. I've read most of the reviews (in various threads). I tested it recently and really liked it. None of the concerns noted in previous threads bothered me.

I noticed recently that SLT is also offering a version in damascus steel for a bit more money, but I searched and I could not find any reviews. So a few questions, some general some specific. What is the difference between the carbon and the damascus? Are there any reviews of the damascus? Is it worth the extra money (very subjective question I suppose)? Thanks for the help, apologies if this has already been covered.

For the record, this is the SLT link:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/P...Damascus-Chefs-Knife-by-Zwilling-J-A-Henckels

Welcome!

AFAICT damascus-cladding offers no functional advantage, it's all about artistic merit....so the question would be: does it please you enough to part with the $$ :)

Also, FWIW, if you have a strong interest in performance, there are a lot of knives out there that will offer much better performance for the money.

If you are interested in some recommendations along those lines, fill out this form and post it back here:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2058-Which-knife-should-you-buy

The biggest difference you will find between the carbon and the damascus is that the carbon is made from 52100 and has the potential to rust if not taken care of. 52100 can get extremely sharp and is easy to sharpen. 52100 will also form a patina so it will not always stay shiny like new. The Damascus is made from a stainless SG-2 core steel and then clad in stainless and nickel which may patina slightly but that will not form really easily. You still need to care for it but the steel is much more forgiving if wet. The other big difference is that the handle on the 52100 is wood and most members who have this knife have had shrinkage on the handle, I do not foresee the micarta handle having the same issues which is probably why they switched to it.
I have a 10" chef knife in the 52100 and I do like it. There are some sticking issues but the knife gets sharp and edge retention is pretty good for a home chef. I agree with Zwiefel that there are probably some other choices out there that are better but at the same time, I do reach for mine several times a week. Would I buy it again now that I know about what is out there - maybe but probably not. Nice thing about SLT is that if you decide you do not like it, you can always take it back.

The Carbon zKramer has been positively reviewed here. The question is "Is it the same profile and Geometry as the Carbon zKramer?" If they're the same, them this is a great knife for $450.

I should have followed the link. Not the knife I thought you were talking about. :O

Still, the form might be helpful for you.

Here goes, you'll have to bear with my terminology:

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Unsure, Z Kramer perhaps

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Upgrading from my wustof classic

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-dislike plainness
Edge Quality/Retention-professionally sharpened every three months, whetstone in between, no issues
Ease of Use-no complaints, can be fatiguing over the long haul though
Comfort-no complaints

What grip do you use? I pinch the blade with my thumb and index finger just beyond the handle - not sure what it is called

What kind of cutting motion do you use? slicing I think?

Where do you store them? in a block

Have you ever oiled a handle? no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? bamboo or synthetic

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? honing steel and whetstone. steel with every use, stone once a month

Have they ever been sharpened? yes, professionally every 3 months or so.

What is your budget?~$500 if something catches my eye

What do you cook and how often? I cook 5 to 7 nights a week for my family, I work with all sorts of food.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? I'm not sure I know enough to have a preference, though that said western style knives have always been more comfortable for me.

I read a large thread on the carbon kramer, it seemed to be very solidly reviewed, just curious if that would apply to this as well.

Excellent, thanks. Not sure how I missed that in my search. Two additional questions. I've hear people talk about getting discounts through SLT, are these just periodic deals or is there some affiliation with the site. Also, assuming I'm willing to spend up to $500, what could I get as far as a western style chefs knife, given my preferences above. Links would be great if possible.

Back