Quantcast
Starting My Collection - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting My Collection

Greetings!

I would be a bit leery of the Moritaka as some seem to have serious grind issues. Would agree with others that 240 is a good starting length.

I think you might want to look into something like this available at JKI--currently shows as out of stock but you could call Jon to check the status.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...mm-gyuto.html#

A bit less money buys you a Fujiwara from JCK which will have better fit and finish than most knives in the price range.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSer...EIGHT:%20236px
    one man gathers what another man spills...

+1 on the Fujiwara, for me they have replaced Tojiro as my entry-level recommendation. Tojiro may hold an edge longer but I find my Fujiwara easier to sharpen and the fit-finish is much better. If you are ready for the care and feeding, you might go Fujiwara carbon steel.

+1 on Fujiwara carbon.

Thanks, the Fujiwara seems to be a great place to start.

Thoughts on Fujiwara FKH vs FKM series? For a first time carbon buyer (sounds like commodity trading position) which is a good way to go. I think the FKH would give that true non-stainless experience.

I have owned 4 Fujiwaras in my life: 2 FKM and 2 FKH(carbon).....I still own the FKM stainless. For a newbie, I would highly recommend a 240 FKM gyuto and 150mm petty.

^
    by the way, I love carbon steel...just not the cheap SK5 in the FKH series. It sharpens easy and takes a nice edge, but the smell due to reaction of patina was just too much and lasted to long for me -- its a major turnoff and it both were the only carbon steel knife that was like this for me.

problem with fujiwaras for lefties is that they're 70/30. but other than that they're great. koki will have them sharpened to lefty version for extra which will add on to the cost but a great option nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    ^
    by the way, I love carbon steel...just not the cheap SK5 in the FKH series. It sharpens easy and takes a nice edge, but the smell due to reaction of patina was just too much and lasted to long for me -- its a major turnoff and it both were the only carbon steel knife that was like this for me.
    the Fujiwaras are SK-4, and do contain some sulfur which causes the initial smell. Once a decent patina established they're just as reactive or non-reactive as any other carbon, and smell as any other carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    the Fujiwaras are SK-4, and do contain some sulfur which causes the initial smell. Once a decent patina established they're just as reactive or non-reactive as any other carbon, and smell as any other carbon.
    Your experience differs from mine...I had built up natural patinas on both of them to a good degree, but they still continued to give odor and taste transference, especially after a touch up on the stones. This has not happened with shirogami or aogami super, or even the carbon in my cheap Watanabe base nakiri.

As someone who has used and sharpened from both series, my recommendation will be for the FKM everytime, as you aren't really losing out by going stainless in this case -- the FKMs can take a great edge -- the SK4 doesn't offer any real advantage over it in my opinion.

I must admit I've forced that patina quite heavily, and have no experience with the stainless. But once the factory edge removed, FKH takes a crazy edge.