Starting My Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccubd

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum and would love some input from everyone.

I've grown up with Western style knives, (mostly older professional Henkles from my grandmother's old cutlery store). I've decided that the craftsmanship going into Japanese style knives is far more to my liking. Never having owned a true Japanese made knife (closest thing would be Shun Classic) I want to know where everyone recommend I go, brand, type (Gyuto vs Nakiri), etc.

I cook at home, and usually preparing enough food for 6-8, so a lot of vegetable prep work. Santuko has been my go-to for years. So far I've been considering Tojiro Dp, Moritaka, or Masamoto. Price limit is at or below $140.

Suggestions?

After the nakiri, natural progression is to chukabocho style vegetable cleaver, but thats a different story :D

I think the Tojiro DP 240 mm gyuto is a great place to start. That is a really solid budget knife that holds a good edge too. You can do pretty much everything with that thing and it is sturdy as well. I started out with that knife and still have it. In fact, it is the only knife of mine that I let my wife use.

Start with a gyuto, Japanese style chefs knife 240mm is a great size. After that you can try your luck with nakiris or other more exotic knives but you will find there very little you can't do with a gyuto.

Greetings!

I would be a bit leery of the Moritaka as some seem to have serious grind issues. Would agree with others that 240 is a good starting length.

I think you might want to look into something like this available at JKI--currently shows as out of stock but you could call Jon to check the status.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/suisin/suisin-inox-western-240mm-gyuto.html#

A bit less money buys you a Fujiwara from JCK which will have better fit and finish than most knives in the price range.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html#WIDTH: 400px; HEIGHT: 236px

+1 on the Fujiwara, for me they have replaced Tojiro as my entry-level recommendation. Tojiro may hold an edge longer but I find my Fujiwara easier to sharpen and the fit-finish is much better. If you are ready for the care and feeding, you might go Fujiwara carbon steel.

Thanks, the Fujiwara seems to be a great place to start.

Thoughts on Fujiwara FKH vs FKM series? For a first time carbon buyer (sounds like commodity trading position) which is a good way to go. I think the FKH would give that true non-stainless experience.

I have owned 4 Fujiwaras in my life: 2 FKM and 2 FKH(carbon).....I still own the FKM stainless. For a newbie, I would highly recommend a 240 FKM gyuto and 150mm petty.

^
by the way, I love carbon steel...just not the cheap SK5 in the FKH series. It sharpens easy and takes a nice edge, but the smell due to reaction of patina was just too much and lasted to long for me -- its a major turnoff and it both were the only carbon steel knife that was like this for me.

problem with fujiwaras for lefties is that they're 70/30. but other than that they're great. koki will have them sharpened to lefty version for extra which will add on to the cost but a great option nonetheless.

^
by the way, I love carbon steel...just not the cheap SK5 in the FKH series. It sharpens easy and takes a nice edge, but the smell due to reaction of patina was just too much and lasted to long for me -- its a major turnoff and it both were the only carbon steel knife that was like this for me.
the Fujiwaras are SK-4, and do contain some sulfur which causes the initial smell. Once a decent patina established they're just as reactive or non-reactive as any other carbon, and smell as any other carbon.

the Fujiwaras are SK-4, and do contain some sulfur which causes the initial smell. Once a decent patina established they're just as reactive or non-reactive as any other carbon, and smell as any other carbon.

Your experience differs from mine...I had built up natural patinas on both of them to a good degree, but they still continued to give odor and taste transference, especially after a touch up on the stones. This has not happened with shirogami or aogami super, or even the carbon in my cheap Watanabe base nakiri.

As someone who has used and sharpened from both series, my recommendation will be for the FKM everytime, as you aren't really losing out by going stainless in this case -- the FKMs can take a great edge -- the SK4 doesn't offer any real advantage over it in my opinion.

I must admit I've forced that patina quite heavily, and have no experience with the stainless. But once the factory edge removed, FKH takes a crazy edge.

These guys know their stuff and steered me in many good directions. A gyuto is most important. But beware the japanese knife bug. I caught it 6 weeks ago and am now hunting my 8th knife...........

Back