Quantcast
Ghee? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghee?

I might get some more responses, but here's what I have so far:

The main preparation differences between Ghee and traditional western clarified butter are that with ghee you let the milk-solids brown which gives a nice nutty flavor, and sometimes other spices are added to make an infused fat. Fenugreek and curry leaves are more typical for this in the Southern parts of India.

Also, I was surprised to discover that in India Ghee is frequently made from yogurt instead of fresh milk. It's supposed to have a deeper flavor due to the fermentation products from the yogurt.

Finally, I was even more surprised to learn that the milk solids that are left behind from Ghee production are sometimes used to make desserts...and that I've had one of these desserts before!

Here are some videos from YouTube:

Vah Reh Vah

Vah Reh Vah has a very extensive playlist of videos on Indian food prep...his recipes tend to be the simplest version of each thing as he is trying to show the techniques not the frills...so they are especially good for beginners. Also, I just really like his attitude and how much he enjoys what he's doing.

Show me the curry

This is the first time I've come across these ladies...their approach for this is different from VahChef's...but they also have a lot of other videos that might be good.

HTH!
    Last edited by Zwiefel; 01-10-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: fixed youtube links
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Much thanks Zwiefel!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I have Purity Farms Organic Ghee in the fridge at all times. With that said, even though I thought I would use it because of the high smoke point, I don't really. I'd still rather use a high-smoke-point, neutral oil. I also don't care for it on low-to-med heat things like eggs. I just don't like the taste. Maybe it is my ghee, but if you don't have to worry about smoke point, then choose a butter you really like (lurpak, plugra, homemade...) and use that instead. Butter impurities mean nothing at that heat point, so I choose the butter that tastes best to you.

I find that I only use it in that mid-range, like searing scallops when I want a higher heat butter taste.

Just my opinion. I think I would like making my own better than store bought.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I mostly agree with you K. The only time i have truly enjoyed it is with the spice powders Indians sometimes serve with rice....mix the powder with a little warm ghee, then mix into the rice.

Other than that, i think its more trouble than its worth.

Generally the oil we use for cooking coresponds with the dishes region. Because we do a bunch of French, clarified butter is our primary saute oil.
    Although I have to admit I've been thinking about cutting costs and "cheating". (In Wisconsin we like our butter)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    In Wisconsin we like our butter
    we ain't too shy with it down south either

Ghee is what the farmers use around here to extract the active ingredients from herb to make medicinal baked goods.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Ghee is what the farmers use around here to extract the active ingredients from herb to make medicinal baked goods.
    That's really interesting Mark. I haven't done any digging on it, but I'd bet that's a tradition that goes back 100's of years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Ghee is what the hippies use around here to extract the active ingredients from herb to make recreational baked goods.