Quantcast
Ghee? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ghee?

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I've used it a few times...homemade, though you can get jars of it in Indian grocers.

It's really just clarified butter. Much like other forms of butter, it's quite rich, but Ghee seems a bit more neutral to me.

Overall, I think it's too much trouble to keep around...I just use EVOO for everything

Also, all those saturated fats aren't the best thing for heart health.
    Depends on the kind of saturated fat, not all should be demonized in that way

Quote Originally Posted by Talal View Post
    Depends on the kind of saturated fat, not all should be demonized in that way
    I'm not familiar with any evidence that any saturated fat is better for heart health than any unsaturated fat.

But, point taken...they aren't all the same either.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I'm not familiar with any evidence that any saturated fat is better for heart health than any unsaturated fat.

But, point taken...they aren't all the same either.
    Tala may be right. The evidence is actually not clear. I first stumbled on this perspective on saturated fat when I was on the Eades Protein Power diet which doesn't promote fatty foods, it just says don't worry about them.

Here is an article I present not as an endorsement but as a data point. One should draw their own conclusions:
    http://www.menshealth.com/health/sat...?fullpage=true

-AJ

Extremely interesting read AJ....Seems like, again, the common wisdom--even among the supposed experts--might be overhyped or even completely wrong.

Thanks for the new perspective AJ/Talal!

Extremely interesting read AJ....Seems like, again, the common wisdom--even among the supposed experts--might be overhyped or even completely wrong.

Thanks for the new perspective AJ/Talal!

thank you for the link indeed..

Yea Zwiefel, a little of topic but I have been cooking with coconut oil (which is VERY high in saturated fat, but medium chain ) for over 4 years. i go through about 2 liters a month, not including at least a liter of grass fed butter, coupled with enormous amounts of meat, and ive since lost weight.. and havent been over 60kg ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Talal View Post
    thank you for the link indeed..

Yea Zwiefel, a little of topic but I have been cooking with coconut oil (which is VERY high in saturated fat, but medium chain ) for over 4 years. i go through about 2 liters a month, not including at least a liter of grass fed butter, coupled with enormous amounts of meat, and ive since lost weight.. and havent been over 60kg ! lol
    Sorry Dave....

Actually, I'd read about both Coconut and Palm oils as having been incorrectly demonized...but had never heard such a thing about animal fats...until this article.

Sounds like you are following an Atkins-like diet...which have received pretty mixed reviews from studies + experts in various studies. Honestly, I don't follow this stuff very much...I eat whatever pleases me but have a lot of variety and keep an eye on portions...and try to ride my bike 3X/week. Numbers are always in tolerable ranges with the docs

Ghee is more commonly used in northern India, coconut oil more in the south. I think ghee is more popular than butter in India because it keeps rather well without refrigeration for quite a while. I have a tub in my fridge most of the time and use it when I cook northern Indian or moghul type curries like a korma or when I'm making Indian roti on the griddle. I love its nutty creaminess. Butter is a good substitute if you don't use it enough to warrant buying a tub or tin of it. In terms of brands I've found that those made in India from Indian milk and butter fats are superior. 'Amul' is great; 'QBB' which I think is made in India but from Australian milk and butter fats is not as aromatic or nutty in flavour. Dave, if you have a tin of it already try using it for omelettes, rich stews, etc. A good dollop of ghee in a hot pan with some mustard seeds or cumin seeds thrown in and quickly taken out (just as they pop!) to add on top of stews or soups can be surprisingly good!

Sambal, I do love a black mustard seed & curry leaf tadka! I even use it with raita sometimes to make it a little special.

I understand that coconut oil is used predominantly in Kerala...but mustard oil would be more likely than coconut in Andhra. Not sure about Tamil though.

Chaunk!

[QUOTE=Zwiefel;173754]Sambal, I do love a black mustard seed & curry leaf tadka! I even use it with raita sometimes to make it a little special.

A bit of trivia: When you pop mustard seeds in hot ghee and immediately add this to a bowl of dhal (split pea) curry just before serving, it's called "chaunk", just like the sound it makes. The flavour and aroma is amazing! Do try a chaunk sometime.

[QUOTE=Sambal;173760]
    Sambal, I do love a black mustard seed & curry leaf tadka! I even use it with raita sometimes to make it a little special.

A bit of trivia: When you pop mustard seeds in hot ghee and immediately add this to a bowl of dhal (split pea) curry just before serving, it's called "chaunk", just like the sound it makes. The flavour and aroma is amazing! Do try a chaunk sometime.
    chaunk is a staple in my household! especially when making a nice moong dal curry.. mm