Quantcast
Ghee? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghee?

The difference between ghee and clarified butter is that you toast the milk solids before clarifying ghee... tried to work out the flavor but its never turned out quite like the stuff my Nepali friend keep at home. Might be time spent on the heat, might be the breed of dairy or maybe its just additives in store bought stuff, but I quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by hambone.johnson View Post
    ^ I may have labor beat. ... our primary cooking fat on meat station for ALL searing is duck fat. basting is just good butter but everything gets seared in duck fat. kinda blew my mind when i first started, but .. i just work there
    thats just crazy!

Just replenished my supply today...I buy Laxmi brand. I alternate between coconut, peanut and ghee depending on what I'm cooking.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post
    The difference between ghee and clarified butter is that you toast the milk solids before clarifying ghee... tried to work out the flavor but its never turned out quite like the stuff my Nepali friend keep at home. Might be time spent on the heat, might be the breed of dairy or maybe its just additives in store bought stuff, but I quite like it.
    It's cultured butter, try using European style butter such as Plugra or one of the other fancy butters.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I use ghee at wk as a primary fat for all proteins. I find it especially good for searing fish skin. I probably wouldn't use it, except that I can get it for less than a dollar a liter.

Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post
    So, beurre noisette without the solids?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Easiest way to clarify butter- Find the biggest clear container that fits inside your microwave.Fill it with butter and nuke on high for 5 minutes or so.The milk solids and buttermilk should separate,this will be obvious when it is ready,hence the clear container.Skim any thin layer of froth from the top and then slowly decant the butter solids into a clean container.Alternatively you can put the whole container in the fridge for a few hours and the butter solids will solidify,once this happens poke a whole through it and you can pour off the buttermilk.You can use the buttermilk for pastries,pancakes etc and the clarified butter will keep for ages in the fridge.It is particularly good for pan frying.

So I was given a container of ghee to try out and we used it for pan frying for two weeks as well as making popcorn in a kettle and I was VERY impressed with the high smokepoint, taste, and most of all the slickeryness of this stuff - nothing sticks.

I realize that ghee is otherwise known as clarified butter but I did some researching and found that there's some variations in how it's made that effect all is attributes quite significantly and hence my questions to you guys.

I'm now looking for some different brands to try to see if there really is a difference in attributes because I can say that the pricing is all over the place for this stuff. I'd also like to figure out if making it myself will yield the same results or not, seems by my research that this might not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Just replenished my supply today...I buy Laxmi brand.
    That's one of the brands I'm considering trying.

I'll talk to some of my Indian friends to see if they have any particular recommendations.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.