Dry aging

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed an old refrigerator from my mom's house and I plan on using to for extra space and dry aging some beef. I saw a video on you tube where the guys, from a salt selling establishment, put a bunch of salt in the pan below the rib so I was wondering if there is any merit to this or if I can just shove the slab in the fridge for a few weeks and move on.

Thanks for the input
Jared

I do like me some Alton Brown ingenuity....

[video=youtube;t4aI_O8kcN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4aI_O8kcN8[/video]

You need the right moisture or lack thereof, temperature, and air circulation.

A fridge is already a giant de-humidfyer. Not really ideal for aging meat. IIR there is a kit available to convert a fridge so you can control temp and humidity. I think Mucho Bucho had done a conversion. I can't remember the dealer name but I could dig it up if your intersted. IMO the best approach at home for most is buying sub-primals in cryo and wet aging for 2-4 weeks. Then take the meat out of the cryo and set it on a wire rack in the fridge for about a week.

A fridge is already a giant de-humidfyer. Not really ideal for aging meat. IIR there is a kit available to convert a fridge so you can control temp and humidity. I think Mucho Bucho had done a conversion. I can't remember the dealer name but I could dig it up if your intersted. IMO the best approach at home for most is buying sub-primals in cryo and wet aging for 2-4 weeks. Then take the meat out of the cryo and set it on a wire rack in the fridge for about a week.

You jogged my memory I emailed Mucho Bucho a couple of times a while back and had forgotten here are the plans he showed me, I'll prob end up jumping on this after the dust has settled from the holidays.

IIR there was a dealer selling conversion kits for the fridge. If I can dig up that link I'll post it.

I found the thread on another site and it looks like Mucho was using a Cole Parmer humidity control. I have no idea which one though.

Here's a webage showing how to build a fridge for meat curing. It should work for dry ageing.
http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie/meat-curing-at-home-the-setup/

I made one last year for dried sausages and the only modification I made was to put the humidifier outside the fridge, (I put it on top) and I fitted a 1/2 inch tube to bring the moisture in through a hole I made on top of the fridge. I also made two holes in the front door to put a small computer fan and an adjustable trap for air circulation (the fan is on a timer and runs 5 minutes twice a day to change the air).

I found it difficult to get a humidifier and temperature cotroller under 100$ in canada, there fairly cheap in the US though. I got mine from this store on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/rogersdini/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
So far there working great. However, you do have to do some electrical wiring, they're not "plug and play", but it was easy even with basically no electrical knowledge.

Latest posts

Back