Quantcast
chosera stones - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chosera stones

if they crack and seem to be still usable i've read that you can always just epoxy them together and use them as normal.

=D

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    if they crack and seem to be still usable i've read that you can always just epoxy them together and use them as normal.

=D
    Franbz what type of epoxy
    Respect all Fear none

check this out

http://japaneseknifesharpening.blogs...-stone-to.html

dunno what stuff you guys got available in the states since i live halfway across the world, but i think the link i posted might help you get started.

i'd put it on a base like that as well then epoxy the broken bits together to make for a stronger bond. besides, with a base u get to use the whole thing all the way down to the base. makes for a taller stone which makes sharpening easier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Stu - just curious - is it possible to mount the Chosera stones on some sort of base, such as a peice of stone or composite counter top material (Corian), to prevent cracking in half? And if so, could a cracked in half stone be mounted on a base, flattened, and then used as normal?

I've read about Chosera stones cracking from other folks. Your post makes a lot of sense as to why this happens - thanks much for the info! mpp
    They come on a base, as standard. The 'odd balls' have no base...

So yeah, I suppose you could easily mount them on a base of whatever you think is right and proper.

(I'd probably be lazy and mount a stone to an Atoma base plate. They're cheap, flat and don't care about water.)

For the record, I treat my Choseras rather poorly and have had no problems. Not that I actually use them all that often...

Stu.

Stu,
    I also have Chosera stones with no base, no problems yet. Would I gain any benefit from applying shellac to the sides and bottom, like my natural stones, or should I just find something to mount them to?

Seems like a possible issue I wouldn't feel like putting up with. I'll stoic with Suehiro and King, thanks.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Stu,
    I also have Chosera stones with no base, no problems yet. Would I gain any benefit from applying shellac to the sides and bottom, like my natural stones, or should I just find something to mount them to?
    Maybe, but as I said, it's the nature of these beasts so I wouldn't mess with them too much (aside from a base) and just learn to live with them.

I'm with Lefty though. I'll never be a fan of anything that's troublesome to deal with if there's an alternative that'll get the job done without all the bubble wrap treatment.

(I get enough bubble wrap in my life packing boxes!)

Stu.