Thread: Carter for $200?

Carter for $200?

In another thread, in which I was looking for a petty, someone pointed out a Carter knife: http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...kugozai-series .

The knife looks great. But my hesitation is: a real Carter for only $200? What's the catch?

Is there anyone who can tell me more about this knife?

No catch, the sfgz is his low grade version, or rather does not have a polished blade face. That knife is only 170 mm (think bigger petty). Its the same heat treat and steel used in his high grade line. Personally, I prefer the sfgz over the high grade

Thanks! Why do you prefer the sfgz over the high grade?

My Carter is almost identical to that one. Absolutely love it. And you will too.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

You can get it with riveted handles for a little less. I'd order one, but we just paid the property taxes.

Awesome, awesome, awesome knives!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
    Thanks! Why do you prefer the sfgz over the high grade?
    Mostly because they are claimed to be hand polished to a mirror finish. Thats why there is such a large price difference,but frankly the finish job just sucks. There is no performance difference, so no point in paying more.

The knife you (Mark76) linked, is 5.6 sun. I have a 5.0 sun that looks just like it. It's easily one of my best performers. I only wish I'd gotten a bigger one. I'm amazed at how easily I can get through massive dinner parties with just this knife. The finish is great because you don't have to worry about messing it up when you sharpen it. These are deceptive knives: they look like hell, but are quite scrappy.

Cheers,

Jack

I completely agree. I have the same knife but it is about 210mm and it is one of my most used knives and they always carry excellent trade/resale value.

Good luck,
    Anthony