Quantcast
Different take on Caesar salad?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different take on Caesar salad?

Different take on Caesar salad?

I was at a hotel a while ago and I had a Caesar salad "sushi" sort of....it was a cellophane noodle wrapped up with lettuce and dressing and they grated cheese on top and they had a little sardine on top.....

Anyway I have to cook a meal for about 12 people in about a month or so and I know they'll all love something like this.....I have a few questions though...

1... I know what cellophane noodles are but how do u seal them up?....I know u soak them but do they just stick to themselves when u roll it up.....r they easy to cut into clean slices afterwards for presentation

2.... Anybody wanna share their favorite dressing recipes....I mean I have made ceasar dressing before but I always like hearing how others do it.....

It was a great dish and it was like just the perfect bite of salad in like a sushi roll....Ryan

viva la revolucion !

Ryan, I'm thinking the little square 'mat' of noodles that you see in Vietnamese cuisine would be a great wrap component. Can't remember what they're called.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Sounds more like rice paper than cellophane noodles to me, but I am German, whaddoIknow... But it sounds like a great little finger food bite. Btw, one of the best chicken Caesar salads I had was on Warren's pizza a few years ago with you and Dave

Stefan

Maybe its the rice I thinking of..... Am not big on Asian stuff but. Thought they were cellophane noodles.....they were somewhat transparent...very thin also....Ryan

viva la revolucion !

I actually make this canapé at work for Butler passings. I use rice paper, just soak in water until pliable then slice prosciutto super thin and layer it on the rice paper. Chop romaine super fine, dress it with my Caesar then roll it tightly like a makizushi. Slice like maki and garnish with tiny brioche croutons. I can dig up that Caesar recipe if you like.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I'd appreciate it when u got a chance theory

viva la revolucion !

A good variation for Caesar dressing is to use avocado instead of egg yolks for the binder. It doesn't hold as well as yolks, but you can make it work. Also might be appropriate for your sushi serving vessel.

I also like using smoked sardines and anchovies when making Caesar dressing.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Caesar Dressing
    Makes about 3 Gallons

1 carton pasteurized egg yolks, about 21-28 yolks
    1 qt red wine vinegar
    1 pint lemon juice
    ½ cup Worcestershire
    1 qt water
    4oz anchovies, strained to remove excess oil
    4 quart containers of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    ¼ cup garlic powder
    ¼ cup onion powder
    ½ cup Kosher Salt
    ¼ cup Black Pepper
    2 gallons corn/salad or blended oil

Place all ingredients in a three gallon Cambro except for the oil. Using the immersion blender, blend all ingredients together until yolks are mixed smoothly and fully incorporated and the anchovies are finely minced. Once everything is fully incorporated you can begin to pour the oil as you blend. Continue pouring the oil until all has been used. Check for seasoning, flavor and acidity. It should not be too fishy or musky with the anchovy flavor and should finish with a bit of zip from the lemon. Dressing should be an emulsion of one smooth consistency.

Label and date the container using the 3”x2” labels.

Total prep time including gathering all ingredients: 10 minutes

Keep in mind I use the pasteurized yolks, garlic and onion powder simply for stable shelf life purposes. Feel free to use fresh garlic and shallots instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    A good variation for Caesar dressing is to use avocado instead of egg yolks for the binder.
    hippie

+ Reply to Thread