Quantcast
Moritaka
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka

Moritaka

My glorious mother in law wants to buy me another knife for my 30th. She was going to get me the santuko hattori fh, but as i have three from that line already and no desire for a santuko i now have about 220 to spend on whatever. I dont really need a certain knife anymore (have parer, petty, gyuto, bread knife and cleaver), so might go the experimental route. Am looking at the moritaka 270 kiritsuke. A. I would like to try carbon B. would like to try 270 length C. Want to try wa handle. It looks cool too.... I cut harder veges such as pumpkin alot and liked the idea of this knife being cleavery at heel with a fine tip.
    So has anyone used one of these and has opinions on its performance?
    Am open to other knife options too..
    One more thing, has anyone ordered from rakuten. At $90 cheaper than you know where was wondering if i was missing something.

Also,what is the differences between aogami super compared to the aogami #2

aogami super can be taken to higher hardness than aogami #2, so that means keener edge and a longer lasting edge, which also makes it chippy if you're not careful. but if you sharpen to an angle that balances both keenness and edge retention would give you the best of both worlds.

that's all i know for the most part about it.

i mean low enough angle

Rakuten is fine, though you might get some reply mails in Japanese that you can't read that will make you think there is a problem. It is worth the discount

oh and if you think you have enough, wait til you find more and more excuses to get more. =D

Beware the Moritaka hole!
    Moritaka has a reputation for being a little lax in the quality control dept. Several members here (including myself) own knives with overgrinds. For your own peace of mind, make sure up front that they have a return policy that would cover any manufacturing defects.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Yes i found that thread. Rakuten seems to have a manafacturers defect return policy so all good.

i forgot that you can actually purchase directly from moritaka. just google moritaka hamono. might even be cheaper to get from them. you can even have it custom made to your specifications for a fee, of course.

=D

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    aogami super can be taken to higher hardness than aogami #2, so that means keener edge and a longer lasting edge, which also makes it chippy if you're not careful. but if you sharpen to an angle that balances both keenness and edge retention would give you the best of both worlds.

that's all i know for the most part about it.
    I don't know about potential hardness, but it will form more hard carbides, giving it greater edge retention, against wear, but also less edge stability, which could encourage chipping. IMO it should hold an 80% edge for longer, but it may loose the 'right off the stone' edge faster than more simple steels like the aogami / shirogami.