Quantcast
Moritaka - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moritaka

sometimes they take a while to reply back. i guess they can get busy or just they have a hard time translating. lol.

It can take up to a week to get back with you. It's kind of a slow process, but once you do get your order in he will have it done pretty quick.

I love my Moritaka KS 250mm gyuto. I have to admit the fit and finish is lagging compared to my Konos but that AS steel gets ultra sharp and holds the edge very well. The choil and spine are sharper than most would want but you'll get used to it and you won't notice it after much use. It sharpens easier than expected to a point where it'll just dig in to your finger with the slightest of taps. You have to watch for chipping I suppose since it's hardened to 64-65 rockwell. No complaints here and the KS has that killer profile.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I havent ever heard a bad takeda review so am leaning that way. Have emailed direct to see prices and customisation level.(how much flat section, blade height)
    i've owned three Takedas, and currently own two. the only problem with Takeda, really, is that there isn't a lot of QC. every knife is quite different. every once in a while, a bad one comes out and is sold (my first was such a one). i wouldn't buy a Takeda unless you are good at sharpening, as these knives will need constant thinning to stay good cutters (all knives are like this, of course, but the Takeda shape is different than most, and really need to be thinned continuously).

Takeda is a crap shoot. We had three 240 gyutos in the kitchen. All three were completely different. One was like a giant santoku, with a sheeps foot tip, and completely black KU. One was a mm thicker at the heel. Two had holes along the edge. One had a crocked spine, that never straightened properly....

I'd suggest buying second hand, where you can see exactly what your getting, or communicating thoroughly with your retailer...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

are there any of you that secretly have moritaka gyuto and ENJOY using but are embarrassed to post about it due to the collective negative following here? just picked one up myself (petty) and think it's a hell of a knife!

My limited set has a Moritaka and I love it. Sharpened a few times to crazy sharp and no issues thus far.

I love blue steel in any shape or form. But I just find that I don't enjoy using my moritaka gyuto so much. Probably the profile. My gyuto feels more like a sujihiki than a gyuto. Just way too flat for my cutting style. I don't rock chop at all, but I find that a slightly more curved shape is more beneficial for me.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Panda, there are quite a few that love their Moritaka's. That is why so many are so pissed about how these have turned out.
    Chewie's the man.

Gotta agree with Chris & Jacob's points about the Takedas. I have a love / hate relationship with mine.

I have three Moritakas; one with a big hole, one with a some weld pitting at the tang joint, and one just right! Still, They get a lot of use. Get good one and you'll not regret it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread