Quantcast
What knives to use on frozen food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What knives to use on frozen food?

What knives to use on frozen food?

I sometimes have to cut frozen protein in small pieces, I would never use any of nice knives for that task. So what do you guys use in this situation?

8 quid chinatown cleaver.

Somebody else's.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

have a 10" Dexter for that kind of use, Has a robust blade, & cheap enough that replacing it wont kill my beer budget.

Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

El chepo Chinese Cleaver with rubber mallet.

I chipped the blade a couple of times when it accidentally hit beef rib bones.

Just grind it off, sharpen, and back to business.

I cut up frozen fruit for smoothies,banana,mango's,strawwberries,pineapple,p eaches etc.to small bits so my blender will not have a heart attack.Use Tojiro F-920 VG-10 cleaver.Best VG-10 I have ever used,great convex grind,little over 1# weight.

Wooden barrel handle wt. stupid bolt sticking out the back.I sawed it off & epoxyed the gap.Like the extra weight,one hand on handle & other on the blade to take chunks of frozen fruit to mince in short order.

That looks quite interesting!

At the moment I am using my cheap old chef knife but I find it had a bit too much trouble cutting the thicker pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I cut up frozen fruit for smoothies,banana,mango's,strawwberries,pineapple,p eaches etc.to small bits so my blender will not have a heart attack.Use Tojiro F-920 VG-10 cleaver.Best VG-10 I have ever used,great convex grind,little over 1# weight.

Wooden barrel handle wt. stupid bolt sticking out the back.I sawed it off & epoxyed the gap.Like the extra weight,one hand on handle & other on the blade to take chunks of frozen fruit to mince in short order.
    I can see how a good heavy and harder knife would work, but don't you get too many chips on your cleaver from the abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Somebody else's.

Now for semi-frozen stuff (calamari, flank steak, etc.), the trusty Moritaka gyuto. No torqueing allowed though!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter