Single bevel WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I decided to really try my hand at traditional style single bevels. Figured i would start with a 240 mioroshi deba in a traditional style construction. First we need steel....2 pieces of 1018 back to back with a piece of W2 on one side. Dimensions of each piece is 5x2x3/8
2013-01-11_20-50-20_504.jpg

2013-01-11_20-50-27_30.jpg

Time to get it hot and squish it!!!
2013-01-11_21-23-04_586.jpg

2013-01-11_21-23-09_779.jpg

2013-01-11_21-23-14_748.jpg

2013-01-11_21-23-19_939.jpg

Finally getting thinner and longer :) I noticed with this construction, it wants to warp as it is cooling, i would assume the steels have different expansion/contraction rates.
2013-01-11_21-23-25_941.jpg

Wiping scale and flux off as much as possible
2013-01-11_21-23-50_184.jpg

And finally i am happy with where the billet is for now. Billet dimensions are 13 inches longx2.2 inches widex10mm thick. Tomorrow as time permits, i will get it forged to shape and hopefully get it HT'd. It is soaking in vinegar overnight to hopefully eat away the scale and leftover flux.
2013-01-11_22-08-49_256.jpg

More to come, stay tuned folks!!

Should have more on this today, as i get shop time until i go back to work. :)

The amazing thing is that Mike is doing all of this in the kitchen of a studio apartment.
:shocked3:

That. Skeleton. Looks. Amazing.

This should be fun!

What REALLY amazing is his wife just had a baby and he gets to play in the garage.......You are a STUD!!!!!!

You guys are funny lol. So...got a little more work done today. Some more forging and a ton of grinding( 10 mm thick doesnt grind very fast!!)
2013-01-12_17-22-55_831.jpg

so this is where it is sitting right now. HT tonight and maybe even get this monster ground! I think it is about 2 lbs right now lol

Thanks. From what i understand( which is not much) 10mm is not an uncommon thickness for a 240 mioroshi deba. I figure when all us said and done, it will be between 8.5-9mm at the spine. It also has a pretty good distal taper.

Hey Mike, I'll measure my 240 Sakai Takayuki mioroshi when I find my calipers, sitting here with a ruler it looks like a slim 7 mm at the handle. Looking forward to this one, mioroshi gets alot of use for me up here in Salmon land.

Heat treat went well, no warps or pings, no delaminations. Tempered to 62 rc. Down to about 9mm, going to thin ot a little more, so it doesnt feel like you are cutting with a novel lol.also started cutting in the ahoulders.
2013-01-13_01-11-04_769.jpg

Ok, that skeleton is still amazing, but is that Katie Holmes in her Dawson's Creek days???

Hahahahaha no that is my wife :) she did some modeling before we got married.

Cool!

Thanks for posting these WIP photos... Its looking very promising!

:cool2:

Matt, those small rolling mills are not as easy to come by as you might think. We ALL need one, but they are rather thin on the ground. Mike, are those deba's actualy that freakin thick!!!! :eek2:
That's because you need a roller. You could have it rolled out to two knives.

Finally getting in some time on this. Working on Bulldog's scimitar, needed to give the eyes a break for a few lol.
2013-04-26_15-33-29_941_zps5bb3bf80.jpg

Will get some spine/ choil shots in a few...heading to the er right now, doc thinks i have an infection pocket where my wisdom teeth were taken out monday....oh joy

First glimpse at the core :D this site made me happy in the pants!!!
2013-04-27_15-40-09_891_zpsc325196f.jpg

I have it down to 8.2mm right now. Gonna bring it down to about 7.5 and call it good. Should have a decent distal taper also. Might try to do a kasumi finish...if i suckbat it, will polish/etch it

That grind looks clean, Mike! Really nice work.

Getting some cleaning on the stones, taking it to sharp
Also, starting to get a handle mocked up. So far, Blackwood ferrule and Waterfall Bubinga

Hoping to get some more done tonight, but have more engraving work to do.

Wow man, hope your wisdom is doing well. The blade is looking great can't wait to see how the handle comes out.

So i got a few minutes to do some shaping on the handle. This thing is a tank...I seriously think it could be used to take down trees. I dont have dimensions on the handle yet, as i am still polishing, only at 1000 and soaking in oil so far. I have to say, of all the wood i have used, the depth and chatoyance of waterfall bubinga is easily among the best. I used a piece of mammoth ivory for the spacer, and decided to do a butt cap also but wanted to do something kinda cool and did the bark on the butt.

Latest posts

Back