Java Warning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many are heading the warnings about disabling Java on their browsers? I know that this isn't the first warning about Java, but I did disable it yesterday, and I am starting realize what sites and parts of sites rely upon it. Since disabling it, I can't view embedded videos on KKF and I have to use Gmail in html view now. Of course, I can temporarily turn it it on if I want those features back.

Just wondering.

k.

i guess that depends on the browser you're using. what browser do you use? i use google chrome. seems to be the safest one out there.

I use Noscript with Firefox. You can add temporary or permanent permissions to allow particular sites to run scripts, and everyone else is blocked.

I think the java thing they are talking about is apple related...

Apparently Homeland Security thought it a big enough risk to come out with a warning. From what I read, the hackers had included something to exploit a Java weakness in the equivalent of their software 'suite package'. And Oracle, which usually never deviates from its 4-month Java patch updates has agreed to fix it as soon as possible.

k.

This kind of attack often takes the form of a popup that claims to be from Adobe, and asks if you want to update Adobe Acrobat or Reader. Alternatively, it looks like it comes from Microsoft and says your computer is infected, do you want to scan? Doesn't matter if you click Yes or No; if you click the popup it will embed itself in your computer and you will likely have to reformat your hard drive to get rid of it.

The above solutions are good, but if you see such a popup the only safe thing to do is to immediately push and hold the On/Off button until the computer shuts down.

I missed this news item entirely. Thanks for the update--java now disabled on the home computers.

Back