New member from Florida

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Hi all. My knife sharpening journey has led me to this forum. Unfortunately, my Calphalon Katana knife set was a gift and, with twin songs on the way, I don't have the spare cash to replace them. I'd like to learn to make the most of them and keep them as sharp as I can for now.

Right now, I'm probably going to pick up a King or Norton 1000/6000 combo stone, a holder and a flattening stone, and look into more gear once I work on my technique for a while.

Thanks. While I'm at it, can anybody give advice on how to remove small scratches far behind the bevel of a knife? I got a little excited using my honing steel before I knew the proper angle and scratched up a cheap knife pretty bad. I figure that will be a good one to practice on.

Welcome!
To remove scratches use automotive sandpaper in grits P240-700. Use in one direction only, parallel to the edge is the easiest. You have to start with a grit nearly as coarse as the object that caused the scratches. You have to work the entire blade to get a uniform result. Make sure to stay away from the very edge. For a smooth finish you may use worn sandpaper with some waterstone mud.

Remember that even if you only scratched one side, you have to refinish both sides for a uniform finish. You will find out like the rest of us have, it's a lot of work. :)

Hi all. My knife sharpening journey has led me to this forum. Unfortunately, my Calphalon Katana knife set was a gift and, with twin songs on the way, I don't have the spare cash to replace them. I'd like to learn to make the most of them and keep them as sharp as I can for now.

Right now, I'm probably going to pick up a King or Norton 1000/6000 combo stone, a holder and a flattening stone, and look into more gear once I work on my technique for a while.

Make that twin SONS on the way... can you not edit posts on this forum?

Back