Quantcast
Which 24 cm Gyuto and 27 cm slicer knife should i buy - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 24 cm Gyuto and 27 cm slicer knife should i buy

Quote Originally Posted by mrandersdk View Post
    Are most into stainless i must say. Could not find the 240 AS gyuto though.

Any comments on the knives I listed? Or any more great recomendations

Must say again i really really like the Tanaka 240mm Ironwood Gyuto
    The Hiromoto Aogami Super (AS) Series: http://japanesechefsknife.com/TenmiJyurakuSeries.html
    AS is a carbon steel known for its edge retention, you should be aware that the Asai slicer you linked is AS carbon steel. They do have stainless Damascus ones though, here is one: http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=87922
    I happen have a petty from that line, one of my first purchases. I strongly dislike the bulky cladding and the use of Pakka wood because it makes it feel cheap. Given all that, it does have one important quality that makes it a great cutter: it has very good geometry. I still feel like I paid too much for it though, and it was considerably cheaper back then (as were all knives).

Unfortunately, in my experience, good Damascus tends to be very expensive and cheap Damascus tends to fall somewhere between less-than-ideal and crappy. So just be prepared that a well made large knife in high quality stainless damascus will be somewhat pricey compared to a similar mono steel knife.

The R2 Tanaka really seems like a perfect fit. A Yoshikane SLD damascus is another possibility here: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...40-m-p/467.htm
    Since you seem to have been prepared to spend $800, why not get that knife and spend less on the slicer? The Hattori HD slicer, for example, and the Tanaka gyuto come in right around budget.
    Personally If i were purchasing a stainless slicer I would strongly consider a mono steel knife with good geometry and a high performance stainless, like a Gesshin Ginga or a Ryusen Blazen.

There's many combinations of options and I'm sure others will weigh in with some opinions.
    Afterall, You're in good hands here if you need help spending money!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Ok i see, makes sense to save a bit on the slicer and then bying the Gyuto i really like. That said 400 is also My Max so suggestions at lower prices Are welcome, as long as it is quality.

Is the hattori hd slicer a Great knife or...?

Do I get a better knife by bying the Ryusen blazer bl 12 slicer. They cost about the same, but the blazer is not damascus.

Looking forward to your opinions, and other suggestions.

hattori hd is a good cutter, but the steel is less glamorous than that of the blazen

the blazen over the hattori.

it'll take a better edge, have a longer lasting one though not as pretty but will outclass it in overall performance.

Do I get a better knife by bying the Ryusen blazer bl 12 slicer. They cost about the same, but the blazer is not damascus.
    I would only steer you onto a better performing knife.
    You will have to determine if you want to pay for beauty, performance, or both (very expensive).
    It is like anything else in this world, you can pay a small fortune to have the absolute best or you can make some compromises and pay considerably less. The more you're willing to compromise the less you will pay.
    Now you have a decent sized budget so you dont have to compromise a lot, but you will have to give something up.
    My suggestion was that you give up almost nothing on the gyuto and sacrifice beauty on the slicer in order to meet your total budget, how you actually chooses to execute that is up to you. I can tell you from experience though, that if the Henckels is your prize knife now, you are about to enter a whole new class of cutlery. The step up will e so great that any of these knives should make you very happy... For a little while at least.

Can I assume you have no urgent need, as you stated these knives are for home use? So perhaps you just buy the Tanaka, if you are willing, and determine if you think it was worth the money to sacrifice nothing. If the answer is yes then save for a while longer before purchasing a similar slicer. If the answer is no, you should have a better idea of what you would rather sacrifice/spend. Perhaps you will decide a $90 Fujiwara FKM is enough or perhaps you will decide a $1500 stainless damascus custom from Devin Thomas is in order, I couldn't say.
    Or you could do it the other way around, but the cheaper knife first and see if it makes you happy. It would likely be easy to sell for a small loss if you weren't satisfied.

I'm sorry there is no easy or cheap option I am aware of for a "great knife" in stainless damascus at your price. There are very good knives though, like the Hattori and the Hiromoto you listed. Of course the adjective "great" is relative to ones expectations, so who can really say. We are not generally known here for our rational opinions.

Here is a great knife fitting those criteria: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...wa-gyuto.html#
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Welcome to the forum. After reading what you dont want Takeda sounds like its out of the option. As far as edge retrntion and extra sharp goes Aogami Supersteel is where its at for me.

Yeah you'r right don't need them right at this moment. I think I'm pretty much settled on the Tanaka 240mm Ironwood Gyuto, unless I get other great suggestions that can match both price, beauty and performance of this one. About the slicer I can see your point about bying the blazen (even though it is not damascus it is not ugly), and I will definitely take performance over looks. If I've was able to increase my budget to, let's say 500$ for the slicer also, could i then get both damascus and performance? Any suggestions for slicers in that price range?

My henckel is not my best knife, but it always does the job for what it was intended. I like my hammered damascus better, but they are too small for many tasks. They are also not in the price range of the Tanaka 240mm Ironwood Gyuto, but I think they are descent knifes anyway.

I don't think I've ever will spend 1500$ on a knife, but i guess I can see myself spending 500$, also have in mind that I live in Denmark so bying a 500$ knife in the US or Japan will probably cost me like 700$ when the import tax is paid.

Thanks for all the advice. Hope their is more to come.

If you live in Denmark, then you should be buying from Maxim

Here what i would pick. those knives will never disappoint

Singatirin Honyaki 240 mm Wa Gyuto

Zensho/Yoshikane V2 Sujihiki 270mm

i guess I can see myself spending 500$, also have in mind that I live in Denmark so bying a 500$ knife in the US or Japan will probably cost me like 700$ when the import tax is paid.
    Those fees are already included on this one:
    http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...70mm-p/639.htm

If you like the look (as I do) you might inquire into ordering a kurouchi version of that knife from the same shop.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    If you live in Denmark, then you should be buying from Maxim
    Indeed!
    In fact, as I alluded to above, you should contact him with your needs and see what he can come up with.
    You can trust him to give good advice.