Quantcast
New Steels in the House - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Steels in the House

Love to see the Damascus when you get it in!

I need to wrap up the current work (including custom handle work from the past) before working on damascus and and mystery carbon, but I am very curious myself how they turn out, etching in particular on damascus.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I ground a couple of blades out of mystery carbon. I don't think it's all that reactive. I didn't treat mine with anything before I started using them.

Eye Candi for Patina Nuts!

Adding Mystery Carbon steel as a choice. I source it from Devin. It is very similar to 52100 in performance with a touch of more wear resistance. However, it takes an incredible patina, especially if you force it with animal fats.

Pics will have to come from other people, as I won't be able to bring myself to force patina onto a knife that I spent a couple of hours polishing.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Eye Candi for Patina Nuts!
    Pics will have to come from other people, as I won't be able to bring myself to force patina onto a knife that I spent a couple of hours polishing.
    M

OK, who's gonna' show some patina?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

No one yet, but I will be getting enough steel for 20+ knives. Right now I have two bars on hand.

M

No one yet, but I will be getting enough steel for 20+ knives. Right now I have two bars on hand.

M
    Maybe we can do the scimitar in Mystery Carbon. Seems like a good fit. Plus I got plenty of 52100 from you already.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Sure.

I am also debating whether I should make some stock honesuki in this steel. A2, 52100 and mystery carbon are all good choices, but mystery carbon will be a more of a looker (because of patina) that the other two, as well as extra wear resistance and comparable sharpness to 52100 puts it ahead of the three, though A2 will probably beat both of them on wear resistance, but not on sharpness.

Sure.

I am also debating whether I should make some stock honesuki in this steel. A2, 52100 and mystery carbon are all good choices, but mystery carbon will be a more of a looker (because of patina) that the other two, as well as extra wear resistance and comparable sharpness to 52100 puts it ahead of the three, though A2 will probably beat both of them on wear resistance, but not on sharpness.
    Since 52100 and MC are better choices for gyutos, sujis, pettys, etc, maybe using the A2 you have for the honesukis is a good idea.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

It doesn't patina that well. It has 5% chromium as opposed to 1.5% in 52100 and even less in mystery carbon, but on wear resistance it will probably beat both of the former.

+ Reply to Thread